Ford Steering Linkages.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I had to do some work to the truck this morning. The wheel bearing was loose as hell (due to a poor install prior to me buying the truck) and a bad tie rod end.

I removed and repacked both bearings and re used the seal as it was in GREAT shape. This took the slop out of the wheel and hub.

I installed my new tie rod end and set the steering back up to where it was before I removed the original tie rod end...or where I thought it was. I measured between the tires twice, and cut a curtain rod to legnth to use as a guide and then removed the bad end.

I put it together with the new tire rod end and set the wheels up so that the curtain rod fit back in between the tires. I measured to be sure and it was bang on where it was before I tore it apart.

Now the truck is wearing the outside edge of the passenger side tire. I didn't take into account the wear in the old tie rod, which is what I think threw off my measurements. Which way do I need to turn the tie rod to fix this? I think I need to legnthen it a touch, but I can't remember.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the truck tracks straight when you let off the wheel, or does it pull to the left? You need to be on a level ground to test for this, as the way roads are usually crowned if you're in the right lane tis tends to cause a pull to the right, which combined with a pull to the left from your steer wheels alignment may even up and cause the truck to track straight. Where I'm going with this - a loose wheel bearing causes more negative camber, and it is likely the previous owner cranked up the eccentric sleeve on top of the axle to reduce that negative camber and make the wheel sits straight up again. Now with the bearings tight the extra negative camber is gone, so the extra positive camber added to counter it should be removed as well. Does your wheel sit straight vertical, or is it at a funky angle like this |-o-/ or this \-o-| (depending on which wheel it is), with the top edge of the wheel further out than it should be?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
i never thought about the camber being off..I KNOW the toe is right because I measured and re measured and RE measured again. I'll have to take tomorrow off work and just have it aligned. It sucks working the hours I do because nothing is open before I go to work, and no one is able to take my truck as a walk in to align it either. It sucks.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Take it to Parts for Trucks, they just did my F250 (D60 up front)....I think it cost about $80 out the door. My toe was way out, like 4 turns of the sleeve out...LOL....I have the new tires on my truck now and it drives decent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online