Ford admits the 6.0 sucks..................

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
tbirdfiend281 said:
p.s. i heard this word of mouth from someone, a dependable someone, but still only word of mouth, but the 2005 PSD 6.0 had less warrenty claims then the last year of the 7.3 PSD

Probably because they were denying em all to make the record look good.

It has happened. look at any insurance company. Can happen very easily in Big Business these days

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok...after getting my new job with a guy thats been with ford for 31 years.....he says, the biggest problem with the 6.0 is from..guess...CUSTOMER TAMPERING!!! yup, you guessed right. beyond that, the biggest problem he has come across at the dealership is injector problems. i dont know first hand, i've never changed one, but he said the fuel filter is an sob to change and most people that do it themselves dont get it set in right and allows dirt to get into the injectors. thus causing all kinf=ds of crazy assed driveability problems.

tgatch

Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
ok...after getting my new job with a guy thats been with ford for 31 years.....he says, the biggest problem with the 6.0 is from..guess...CUSTOMER TAMPERING!!! yup, you guessed right. beyond that, the biggest problem he has come across at the dealership is injector problems. i dont know first hand, i've never changed one, but he said the fuel filter is an sob to change and most people that do it themselves dont get it set in right and allows dirt to get into the injectors. thus causing all kinf=ds of crazy assed driveability problems.

The Fuel Filter is horribly EASY to change. Sorry, but this hurts the credibility of your Ford guy. There are two filters, one on top of the Engine and one mounted horizontally on the frame under the driver's side.

There have been trucks that are STOCK that have had problems with coolant puking. Some have had issues coming home for the dealership right after they purchased it. Maybe if Ford trained the Guys doing the PDI not to fill the Coolant resivor to the top when cold that would help.

BEFORE there were ANY mods on my truck I went through 2 EGR Valves, 2 EBP sensors and a VGT sensor. And I know that I am by no means alone in this department.

I won't argue that the customer tampering is probably the number one cause. Heck, I'll even agree with it.

Having said all of that above, I will say that I am very happy with my truck.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i meant....people not putting the filter in correctly....like i said..i've never changed one...but if they arent being installed correctly...that could be the cause...anyways, egr valves on diesels is a retarded idea anyway, ask anyone who's had a run-in with the new jeep liberty diesel, theyre eating through egr valves like a fat chick with a bag of m&m's.

scrappy

Reaction score
tbirdfiend281 said:
i work on the 6.0s every day and the 03-04s have the most issues, the 05s are a changed motor i have only seen one problem with them, high pressure oil fitting leak causing low icp pressure and a truck stall or no start condition. the was a TSB out hinting towards that, but the guy i aprentice under and i had to go a week to figure the 1st truck we did of those, but since then when an 05 comes in no start condition, thats usually the culprit, i woudltn expect alot of those to fail. The 03 and 04s honestly arent as dependable as a 7.3 but arent as bad as everyone is saying they are, its the interpritions of the problems. The reason they are seeing problems is because of the new emessions controls on them. EGR's foul out alot because of long idling periods, these trucks need a high idle switch if they are going to idle for long periods of time...i dont know how many yellow maryland state trucks come in with a black smoke issue and we have to replace the EGR valve on them. the injector issue i have seen alot and from what i just read i guess for is blaming the injector maker, witch i dont know for sure but only assume is bosch.

bottom line i would own a 6.0 but would go threw some pre cautionary measures to keep the truck running good (maybe not legal ones but o well)

new 6.4 twin turbos, one can only hope navistar will do that motor right, and we will see them in the 250s-550s in the near future. the 6 cylinder (from what i have heard basically a 6.0 minus two cylinders) cab forward with the twin turbo setup is suposed to be nice, who knows with them no one has bought any from my work.

Do you know that the 6.0 has been in service for several years @ 250 hp in other applications and was relatively problem free. It was FORD that screwed with it and caused all the problems because the had to keep up with the jones's(dodge, chevy) in the HP wars.
And BTW they are doing the same thing AGAIN with the 6.4!

AK_Gandy

Experienced Old Guy
Reaction score
tgatch said:
The Fuel Filter is horribly EASY to change. Sorry, but this hurts the credibility of your Ford guy. There are two filters, one on top of the Engine and one mounted horizontally on the frame under the driver's side.

There have been trucks that are STOCK that have had problems with coolant puking. Some have had issues coming home for the dealership right after they purchased it. Maybe if Ford trained the Guys doing the PDI not to fill the Coolant resivor to the top when cold that would help.

BEFORE there were ANY mods on my truck I went through 2 EGR Valves, 2 EBP sensors and a VGT sensor. And I know that I am by no means alone in this department.

Exactly.

It's kinda hard to say "tampering" is the main problem when mine lost three injectors at 1,750 miles and the low oil pressure sensor killed the engine as I was trying to merge onto I-5 in Redding, CA. Had to have the truck (with 36' fiver attached) towed to the dealer and then wait 4 days to get it fixed.

And that was only the first time it was towed with the fiver. :mad:

Not to mention;

- Throttle response lag
- Two EGR's
- One turbo
- Numerous re-flashes

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you see the same reoccuring problems, turbo goes bad, EGR goes bad, icp leaks oil, truck drops a bunch of injectors, egr cool takes a poo

and yes the detuned 6.0s and the 6.0s international runs dont have these similar issues, ford changed the desighn of a few components and they seem to have failures here and there, ive heard the internation EGR setup doesnt have nearly as many problems. luckily the 05+ 6.0s have *SOME* of the issues addressed

p.s. if i had a 6.0 and idled it alot, egr unpluged, keep her closed, and id find a way to delete that damn problematic cooler

p.s. 2, id still own a 6.0 people ive them a little to much grief, granted they shouldnt have as many problems as they do, but ive spoken to nurmous people happy with them, never having any sort of hickup with them, and if there was, it was minor

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
up until last year I drove tow trucks full time for a good sized company. During that time I towed so many 6.0 Fords I couldnt count them. Crank Position Sensor was a big culprit, injector circuit problem allowing fuel to bleed into the cylinder and then into the crankcase while not running, thus "making it's own oil", balljoints and tierods dont last as long as brake pads, and oh yeah, several times towed them with big trailers because the intercoolers blew apart. I don't recall towing very many 7.3s.

tgatch

Reaction score
CPS was more a 7.3 issue. Ask many of the 7.3 guys and you will find most of them have spares in their trucks.

binderpower

Reaction score
Ya the 6.0 or vt365 has been in IH service since 2001 and no one knows how long they tested the engine. I believe they did extensive testing and did not rush this to ford like everyone implies they did. The 6.4 was already in the infant stages as soon the 6.0 made its debut and as of right now they have another engine up there sleeve in place of the 6.4 or along side, who knows. But I am sure IH engineers do.

meb727

Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
I can tell you my co. has a fleet of E-350 6.0s (12 of them), and after 1 blown turbo (seized), Torq-Shift recalls to all of them(didn't prevent 2 transmission failures), a set of blown head gaskets that required the body taken off the frame for a month and a half at the dealer (my personal work van), and now failing balljoints-ALL AT UNDER 60K MILES!!!! They wouldn't touch another Ford/Navistar diesel with a 10 million foot pole-and my fleet buyer is (was) one of the most hardcore Ford fans I've ever met! BTW, none of them were tampered with in any way, and there are hundreds of other horror stories like ours-$500,000,000 in recall costs can't be wrong, I feel really sorry for all the UAW guys who have to worry about layoffs and job losses because of Ford's total incompetence(and Navistar's got to share some blame too!)

tgatch

Reaction score
Again.. the VT365 has been relatively flawless in non-Ford applications. How would it be Navistars fault?

Navistar didn't design the transmission. How is that their fault?

Sort of like blaming Cummins over the lift pump failures in the Dodges. Cummins told them what to do, Dodge just chose to do it their own way,

Tom

gleninaz

Reaction score
I have a 2004 6.0 4x4 that has 45k on it and it has been a great rig. I think most of the really nasty warranty work was on the first year engines and that a ton of owners ran out and started putting mods on like chips. I will never mod my truck as I can pass all the Dodge and Chevy boys without it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online