Ford admits the 6.0 sucks..................

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
All this crying and gnashing of teeth - I thought I was back on TDS for a minute there :)

You know it's real simple - buy what YOU like and don't spend any of the precious seconds of your life worrying about the rest !!!

I've had GREAT service out of all 3 of me FERDS and don't want to change out a one of them !

And don't I recognize the thread starters userid from the dark side ????

Splash

Reaction score
Hey first post and I will have to say that this was an interesting discussion. But I will have to put my .02 in, in the fact that the 6.0 is just like every new engine design or car design. The first few years in mass production they find all kinds of quirks, bugs, and major problems; then when they have fixed them all they go and redesign it to go through the cycle again. Sad thing is I am looking into a used Ford diesel for the towing capacity and what I can afford is going to be in the 1999 to 2003 range so for my money I would get the 7.3. Now if I won the lottery I would buy a brand new 6.0 for the warranty and to own it since new, but since that is a small chance in heck I will stick with a good used 7.3 for right now.

gonecamping

Reaction score
Turbo Blues

2004 34k miles and running on my Third Turbo. I love the darn
Truck. :backoff

I think the dealership finally made it right the tubo boost is sooo steady. Never ran this good even when it was new. Haven't attached the 5ver yet
will soon and then I'll know for sure. :D

Last edited:

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Got 117K on mine now. It was good for a while after the reflash in April. Now at 60* it has a hard time starting again. My guess is GP's but i sure as hell am not giving Ford $80 an hour to figure it out! There estimate for GP replacement was over $500!!!!! Guess i'll have to spend all weekend replacing glowplugs. Funny on my 1995 it took me a total of 2 hours to replace the glowplugs. This 6.0 looks like it might take 6 or 8 to do the same job!!! :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Subman631

Reaction score
gleninaz said:
I have a 2004 6.0 4x4 that has 45k on it and it has been a great rig. I think most of the really nasty warranty work was on the first year engines and that a ton of owners ran out and started putting mods on like chips. I will never mod my truck as I can pass all the Dodge and Chevy boys without it.

I assume the Dodges and Chevys were parked?:D I just joined this forum and was cruising the threads. My only experience with the 6.0 Fords is watching them on the dynos, at the drag strip and the sled pulls. First of all there are not many of them doing any of these things, and the ones that are don't fare very well. Once in a while you see one that performs OK but not often. I watched one puke coolant all over the floor at FAST SPECIALTIES DIESEL DYNO DAY in Vancouver, WA. It was lightly modded and lifted the heads enough to puke coolant. My brother-in-law smoked two transmissions and one turbo in his Ford, he was towing a 26 foot covered snowmobile trailer through about a foot of snow everytime it broke. Last time I towed him out with my Duramax he traded his Ford on a new 06 LBZ. ;Sweet

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mjstef said:
Got 117K on mine now. It was good for a while after the reflash in April. Now at 60* it has a hard time starting again. My guess is GP's but i sure as hell am not giving Ford $80 an hour to figure it out! There estimate for GP replacement was over $500!!!!! Guess i'll have to spend all weekend replacing glowplugs. Funny on my 1995 it took me a total of 2 hours to replace the glowplugs. This 6.0 looks like it might take 6 or 8 to do the same job!!! :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

probably the glow plug mondule, rather then the glow plugs themselves. they are very easy to take out though, takes less then an hour to pull all 8, the right side ones you gotta sit on the radiator and snake your arm under the heater/ac case.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonecamping said:
2004 34k miles and running on my Third Turbo. I love the darn
Truck. :backoff

I think the dealership finally made it right the tubo boost is sooo steady. Never ran this good even when it was new. Haven't attached the 5ver yet
will soon and then I'll know for sure. :D

thew new reflash drops a pound or two of boost for some more dependability

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and just as an added thing, the E van 6.0s, i rarely ever see them with an issue, i think because they are detuned to that 250hp, they run good.

i hope the new 6.4s instill faith back into the powerstroke name, it has almost been destroyed, it use to be the best, but now i feel duramax may prevail....if they dont have any emession control problems like the 6.0s do, espescailly in 07 when the standards come out

Cppr Busa

Reaction score
p.s. i heard this word of mouth from someone, a dependable someone, but still only word of mouth, but the 2005 PSD 6.0 had less warrenty claims then the last year of the 7.3 PSD

But there are is a lot more warranty time left on the 05's, just my .02 My buddy has a 6.0 that I think is a really good running truck.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 04 6.0 trucks where hands down the least problematic of all the years, the 05s have had big issues with the high pressure pump quick disconnect fiting, hopefully the new kit they just came out with will eliminate this all together...and make the 05+ trucks the most dependable

gonecamping

Reaction score
Turbo Blues

Well the last Turbo lasted 2600 miles.:backoff Now the Lawyers are dealing with it. I can't even enjoy my Trips, I canceled Yellowstone and Buffalo River National Parks.:puke:

tgatch

Reaction score
Well the last Turbo lasted 2600 miles.:backoff Now the Lawyers are dealing with it. I can't even enjoy my Trips, I canceled Yellowstone and Buffalo River National Parks.:puke:

7 months and only 2600 miles??? I'm thinking that maybe letting the truck sit that much might be part of the problem.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I assume the Dodges and Chevys were parked?:D I just joined this forum and was cruising the threads. My only experience with the 6.0 Fords is watching them on the dynos, at the drag strip and the sled pulls. First of all there are not many of them doing any of these things, and the ones that are don't fare very well. Once in a while you see one that performs OK but not often. I watched one puke coolant all over the floor at FAST SPECIALTIES DIESEL DYNO DAY in Vancouver, WA. It was lightly modded and lifted the heads enough to puke coolant. My brother-in-law smoked two transmissions and one turbo in his Ford, he was towing a 26 foot covered snowmobile trailer through about a foot of snow everytime it broke. Last time I towed him out with my Duramax he traded his Ford on a new 06 LBZ. ;Sweet

Hey welcome to the site!!
and yes
Isuzu makes a good diesel:eek:

This thread should be titled "SOMEONE at FORD SAID....."

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Last edited: