For those of you with vans. I salute you.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my but kicked by a 90 E350 ambulance today. A simple alternator change turned into a disaster.
First one was bad and didn't work at all.
Second worked for 15 mins.
Third time was a charm after I drove 100 miles to get it.

Talk about wedged in there.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Man, the alternator is about the only easy thing to work on too, lol. Try doing power steering, or just a fuel filter change out.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try five alternators in a 914. I got paid for the first one. I truly hated seeing that car come back into the shop.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yeah, we're a special breed of crazy, Wicked97. cookoo cookoo cookoo

About to start my 3rd engine pull in 3 years. Full head recondition with head gaskets last year, but now I have a chuffing exhaust valve.:frustrate

And MY hat's off to IDIDieselJohn, up north. I can't even get my valve covers off in-frame, and he's done head gaskets in-frame??????

Whoa. :hail:hail:hail

Gotta shake Jon's hand someday. If he has any hand (or arm) left!! LOL

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you aint done nothing till you pull a 6.0 from a van....
You must be registered for see images

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hope Jon won't mind me sharing one of his pics here.:sly

Realizing: next time I go to PicknPull, I should measure the engine compartment of the early vs late vans. Seems my later one is smaller. :confused:

DON'T try this at home, kids!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

For those who haven't seen this kind of thing before.....

You must be registered for see images attach

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
you aint done nothing till you pull a 6.0 from a van....

Oh, dang, Corey.... can't imagine how many hours (and wounds!) it took to strip that 6.0 down to that! :hail:hail:hail

Made the mistake of taking the doghouse cover off one of the 7.3 PSD vans at the workplace, just for yuks. Never doing that again. Scarred for life! :eek:

EDIT: And even more :hail to Corey and Jon: Another HUGE realization: You guys have to fight truly rusted-together hardware! (Spoiled California guy over here, with a California van. I am truly humbled!)

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. That looks like a short buss...:eek::angel: My hats off to all of you guys for the horrible jobs you have shared here. I can add pulling a 12 cylinder from my wifes Jag. That engine was smooth with the hood or the bonnet as they call it. Looking down in the vally of that engine you could see most of the sprk plug. The distributater was in the center of the valley.. Well under the fuel loop. That engine was designed to look nice but work on it.. Nope. Then there was the day I installed my idi engine and uplled it 5 times... ALONE..:mad:cookoo I had a issue with the converter to crack spacer not fitting. It was size on size. In other words the two pieces had no clearance. I could not make up the trans to the bellhousing the last 3/8 inch so I used the bolts to draw it up. Then the crank would not turn. I had barely any force on the wrench doing this. In and out till I found the issue with a micrometer. A Makita grinder with a sanding roll opened up the fit so I had 1 1/2 thous clearance. The converter slipped in easy as.. Well you know what... Yeah... I have has issues. But nothing like what you guys are posting....:hail:D

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
My friend got a e350 psd van that had a broken valve spring. Didn't look fun to do but $800 for a running driving diesel can sounds like a deal to me!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where's the pics of the pickups with the 6.0 and the cab off? Shop down the road always has a couple torn apart.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with this thing is the ambulance package.
The ac and heater hoses to the rear run right over the top of the alternator. That and its a leece neville 165 amp with 2/0 cables on the back of it that are impossible to get to.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with this thing is the ambulance package.
The ac and heater hoses to the rear run right over the top of the alternator.
That and its a leece neville 165 amp with 2/0 cables on the back of it that are impossible to get to.

U suck....ambulance package doh! Hmm...is it dual alt too?

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope just a single. I don't know where you would even think about putting another one.