Folks! I really need some help here!

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out where to plumb a coolant line from and where to return it to for my fuel tank heat exchanger.

I've heard opposing views from folks on the following:

The 1/2" NPT on the top of the water pump being pressure or suction.

And where or not the 1/2" pipe plug on the heads towards the rear of the vehicle are cooling ports or not. Both my front head fittings are occupied - one with a temp sensor - which I guess I could put into a 1/2" NPT Y or T fitting then run my hose to the heat exchanger from there. But I'd rather not and have a dedicated pressure port and a suction port.

So right now the most important thing is to find out of the fitting at the top of the ater pump is suction or pressure.

Please? Anyone?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I put a sensor in one of mine and after doing so, it leaked, but I never tighten pipe threads super tight, so snugging it a bit fixed it. I guess my point is, if it were suction, it shouldn't have leaked, correct? I would say the easiest thing to do would be pull a plug and start it! :) That'll tell you real quick.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I put a sensor in one of mine and after doing so, it leaked, but I never tighten pipe threads super tight, so snugging it a bit fixed it. I guess my point is, if it were suction, it shouldn't have leaked, correct?

You mean the top of the pump - right? Also opening the system would screw up the flow of coolant anyway - introducing air to the system?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You mean the top of the pump - right? Also opening the system would screw up the flow of coolant anyway - introducing air to the system?

Yep, and air in the system happens everytime you change antifreeze, coolant systems are designed to get rid of it. I changed a sensor in mine running before, was a situation where I had no choice, prolly lost a quarter of coolant. It's not like the brakes.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
God god people suction is just a relative term, The whole system is under pressure. The water pump top fittings are hmmm lets call them returns. EVERYTHING else behind the water pump is under flow pressure.

So, come out of the head go to your stuff and put it back in the water pump, and teeing into the heater return wont hurt a thing also.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Being under pressure may not flow through a heater in the tank. Never plumbed one, have no idea what they take to run, flow/pressure wise, so get off my ass!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats not what I meant ,it was a general statement and not to anyone in particular.and I apoligize if I upset you.:oops: . COoling systems are under pressure to raise the boiling point of the coolant. There is a low and a high side like air conditioning the pump provides a pressure differential if you will and that is what makes the system work and creates flow.
Yor sensor leaked because of system pressure, even though it is the inlet/suctiion side there was still pressure.
Again, sorry and I have no problem explaining things so never hesitate to ask.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you to both of you for trying to help me with my quandary.

I'm sorry it caused this disagreement, I now have the information I need to proceed - I will be taking pictures of the HotFox install - maybe they'll be worthy of a tech article thanks to you folks.

Peace

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Thats not what I meant ,it was a general statement and not to anyone in particular.and I apoligize if I upset you.:oops: .

No, I'm the one that's sorry, I thought I put a big ole smiley after it, but it's not there now. I wasn't serious at all, I just had no idea about plumbing in a heater like that and did not mean to seem upset. Sorry guys! I have read many of your posts and know you probably know WAY more about it than I do!

Scott

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Thats not what I meant ,it was a general statement and not to anyone in particular.and I apoligize if I upset you.:oops: . COoling systems are under pressure to raise the boiling point of the coolant. There is a low and a high side like air conditioning the pump provides a pressure differential if you will and that is what makes the system work and creates flow.
Yor sensor leaked because of system pressure, even though it is the inlet/suctiion side there was still pressure.
Again, sorry and I have no problem explaining things so never hesitate to ask.

No need to be sorry, I didn't mean it in offensive way, I am sorry that it came accross that way, the smiley dude is FIRED! :)

I'm familiar with the pressure and the reason for it, just not familiar with how much flow that port can generate, and if it's enough for a WVO heater. Sorry for the confusion, I'll crawl back under my rock...feeling like a jerk!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We gots no jerks here.... Just good members that will contribute anything they can... But you will find some jerks on other sites....TEE HEE....:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like the smileys owe us some beers:backoff
I had a blurring headache earlier and that may have shown up, no harm no foul, according to the wife I can be a pita sometimes:dunno LOL LOL LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I T'ed right off of the coolant lines. my plate exchanger gets hot quickly this way and my heater seems to work just as well as before. it is a much shorter run than you are talking though.

i figure this way both sides will get suction and they wont cause my sensors to leakLOL :D

i did add a smiley just in case it doesn't follow through:cool

Attachments

• CIMG2584.JPG
    CIMG2584.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 13

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our water pumps use a centrifugal force design...an impeller that turns and slings the coolant outwards and in the direction of rotation of the impeller.
The way the housing is machined determines exactly where it goes, but in general, a port on the periphery of the pump housing should be a pressure-side port.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
:dunno Is there really no documentation on this that can solve this mystery definitively?

Hrm. Here I was all ready to consider it suction side. I just hope that plumbing two lines pressure side won't hurt something.

I guess I could T back to the heater core return line as much as I'd rather not...

Our water pumps use a centrifugal force design...an impeller that turns and slings the coolant outwards and in the direction of rotation of the impeller.
The way the housing is machined determines exactly where it goes, but in general, a port on the periphery of the pump housing should be a pressure-side port.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online