"Fleet gaurd precharged Coolant" and Napa coolnt filters??

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i plan on running the red Fleetgaurd coolant (i go by if Internationals using it, it must be right, what they've done worked for 100 years and counting, so if this is the most current coolant the IH dealership carries, the scout will get it...;Sweet) i read on the bottle that my friend had it says, DO NOT ADD SCA TO THIS, on the bottle. so it's already to go then?? :confused:

also i will order my coolant filter soon. what's the best way to run the lines to the filter, i've read a direct line through the filter to the heaterbox will possibly damage things (heat isn't a huge issue as light fall use will be all it'll see). and what's the best one to use...i think i found a NAPA part # on here somewhere.

thanks
-Jon

gatorman21218

Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/articles/coolfilter1.html

i use fleet charge but to each his own. Its part number 4019 for the housing and about 55 bucks. run it as a bypass--- think of it like an electric circuit/ string of christmas lights- in series( like you mentioned) a clogged filter will stop the flow to the heater, like all the lights will burn out if one does, but in parallel the heater will not be affected just as one light can burn out and the rest stay lit

im not sure it will damage things but rather it will not allow coolant to flow through the heater

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Id run a 4070 coolant filter as it has no SCA in so no worry of messing things up. Napa does have filters with SCA but I'm not sure if its DCA-2 or DCA-4. I tried cross referencing filters to figure it out but I gave up after a few days of searching.:confused:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fleetguard and fleetcharge are both excellent coolants. tho coolant filters have a restriction in them and are designed to be a "bypass" type filter.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
An overcharged system can result in overheating because the DCA or SCA coats the inside of all the surfaces which adds a protective layer for cavitation but it also adds another layer that heat must transfer through before reaching the coolant. Now how often does this happen (overcharged caused overheating or hot spots) probably not much but it is a risk that one should be aware of. I would suspect that you would have to overcharge the snot out of it for it really become a problem. The acceptable range is actually quite large so you should have not problem staying in it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rule is, don't use a precharged coolant, unless you know what it is precharged WITH. If it is DCA-2 or DCA-4 it doesn't matter, but you must know which it is so that you can get the right test strips and the correct additive to maintain it later.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
3 questions...............

Does the Fleetguard precharged coolant come ready to use without adding any other additives (like DCA4 or DCA2) ? Can you just pour it in and go ?

Does it matter on these trucks whether the additive is DCA4 or DCA2 ? Do they both work the same ?

If I was to go to the local parts store to buy a regular name brand coolant and then add the DCA4 to it, is there a recommendation on which brand to buy (prestone, peak, etc) ?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and FleetGUARD is DCA4 while FleetCHARGE is DCA2.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 questions...............

Does the Fleetguard precharged coolant come ready to use without adding any other additives (like DCA4 or DCA2) ? Can you just pour it in and go ?

Does it matter on these trucks whether the additive is DCA4 or DCA2 ? Do they both work the same ?

If I was to go to the local parts store to buy a regular name brand coolant and then add the DCA4 to it, is there a recommendation on which brand to buy (prestone, peak, etc) ?

When I was buying Fleetguard I always bought the un-charged variety. That way I knew I needed exactly 3 bottles of DCA-4 to go in it. You can't buy a "regular name brand coolant" LOL that is the right stuff. There are not many "green" coolants on the shelves anymore. If you find one it has to be low or no silicates. The SCA's work the same. DCA-2 is more popular and was the first one out. DCA-4 was an attempt to improve it, but it really didn't make much of a difference. The FleetCHARGE is made by Peak antifreeze, and is pink in color. It is essentially a green low silicate coolant with DCA-2 added into it. It's been made pink to show that it has the DCA-2 content. I'm told most Freightliner dealers have the Penray 2-way test stips and additive needed to maintain it.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
so if i fill the scout from scratch and test it with that will it be ok?

and i'd like to refill the 250.

and any diagrams of the filter routing?

-Jon

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fleetguard is DCA4. The precharged filter are ready to use. No need to add any DCA from a bottle. I run an 8 DCA unit, Fleetguard number is WF2073. That will maintain the DCA level at the upper side of the "safe" range. You can buy test strips online in a 4 pack. I check the level about every three months. Once is starts to get low, I replace the filter.;Sweet

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online