Fixing my fuel filter leak

ironhorse2021

ironhorse2021
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post and thanks in advance for any input.

The PO used epoxy to seal the small oring leak path in my fuel heating element. Now it leaks and I can't separate the metal plate from the plastic frame that holds it. I posted in the Market section looking for a good heating element (metal and plastic parts) because I'd like to keep that function if possible. If I need to eliminate the heater and plug the hole in the manifold plate, would appreciate hearing how someone else did it.

Thanks

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you looking for a new filter housing? if so i can check in the parts pile im pretty sure i have one pm me if interested

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Well its debatable whether or not the fuel heater actually does anything or not. Being in michigan you might need it more than virginia, however you might want to here from other yankeesLOL about whether they use theirs or not.

And just for my knowledge does the 6.9 have a fuel heater?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
6.9 fuel heaters are on the fuel line from the lift pump to the filter head. It looks like a larger piece of pipe welded to the 3/8 line with a wire to it... I really don't think they do mush if anything either. Would really like to hear why the engineers felt they were needed...

ironhorse2021

ironhorse2021
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm with you on whether or not the heater is really needed. It started ok for me this winter (very mild) without fuel or block heaters. That said, if I can maintain the function, might as well do it.

Although I have a 7.3 IDI, I picked up a fuel manifold from a 6.9 IDI (without integrated fuel heater). That will be my fall back if I can't find a good used heating element.

94IDITurbo7.3 - good to see I have friends nearbye. I live near 96 and 23 intersection, about 2 miles southwest of the Lee Rd exit (from 23). I was just in Fowlerville yesterday at our TRW plant. Where abouts are you ?

Dagreendaville - thanks for the offer (new housing). I was able to salvage the one I have by removing all of the epoxy. It's the plastic/metal heating element I need - can't remove the epoxy from inside the terminal tower. The connector terminal is locked into the epoxy.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
94IDITurbo7.3 - good to see I have friends nearbye. I live near 96 and 23 intersection, about 2 miles southwest of the Lee Rd exit (from 23). I was just in Fowlerville yesterday at our TRW plant. Where abouts are you ?

i am south of town(fowlerville) if you take fowlerville road south until it ends you hit mason road, then turn so you go east on mason, then the first road you will see on the right will be a dirt rd, Kern rd, i live down that rd.

ironhorse2021

ironhorse2021
Reaction score
94IDI.. - good to know. Would like to meet and swap IDI stories some day.

Also, figured out how to PM - had to adjust my settings to allow PM'g.

regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online