Firewall plate questions

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been reading about firewall plates, and how they repair the weak section on a manual trans truck. Are they only necessary on the 80-91 trucks or is it something I should look into on mine?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
firewall on a 92+ is completely different. I have had a few requests for one...but with the way the assembly is redesigned I would say if you have issues it will be much deeper then firewall itself. I would be looking for a broken pedal assembly or possible the bracket that holds the dash to the firewall may be broken.

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i've been there and done that. When I got the truck it was a huge pain to get into reverse. Started looking at the clutch pedal and the bracket was tweaked and the bushings were so worn the pedal would move about .25" at the pivot before it would start pushing the rod. Threw in a jy pedal set and life was much better.

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slightly different question, are the 80-86 and 87-91 (hydraulic clutch) pedal assemblies interchangeable?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
nope. they are different

clutch master cylinder is slightly different too. they can be interchanged but it will cause the master cylinder to sit tilted. they still work as long as you dont have to add any fluid.