FIPLS/TPS question

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new FIPLS or TPS or what ever you prefer to call it from napa the other day when I opend the box it was black, my question is did they give me the wrong part or do I need to go to ford and get the grey one or will this one work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That black tps will work but not as long as the updated grey tps. Check on ebay for a spare switch to have under the seat too. The voltage needs to be set at idle key off min .96 to max 1.2 volts. Make sure the engine is off and warmed up so the fast idle is down and the injection pump internal advance os off. Or on a cold engine remove the wires to the fast idle and the ip internal advance...:sly

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
gary, i had a black one on the E1 from the day I brought her home till the day she left bound for Frieghts weed patch. I never replaced it only readjusted as needed. And we all know that I owned her for more than just a few months.

Maybe I got one of the good ones I don't know... but then again I broke all kinds of rules in that I never replaced a E4OD tranny either. Engines = yes but other things no...

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I put the new one on and with 1.2v closed throtle I was getting 4.08v at WOT by the old standers its fine but according to the updated version Fordf250hdxlt posted the idle voltage is at the max but WOT needs to be higher, so do I have a problem or not?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No problem with the wide open voltage. Once you set the correct idle voltage setting you have no controll on what the wide open throttle setting voltage is. Unless you mess with the throttle stops for wide open position and I don't suggest you doing that. WOT voltage must never be 5 volts. If it does reach that voltage the cpu that controls the trans will fail and you end up in limp home mode where the trans shifts break neck hard and you only have second and reverse. That mode is just for getting home a short distance or off the streets. Its not for driving any place very far. It kills the trans in a short time too because of the harsh shifts.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took it for a ride today and between the the FIPLS and new lift pump its like a whole new truck

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iv got a black one on mine make sure the truck is warm when you swap them so fast idle an cold advance don't mess up your voltage reading .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online