Finally, she starts reliablty again!

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beginning little over a year ago, my truck began getting harder and harder to start. After a couple of months it got to the point where I've been having to hit my intake with about a half-second blast of ether to get it to start up from dead-cold.

The starter was getting slow, so last weekend I swapped in a good used spare. Cranks over MUCH faster now, but still wouldn't start without at least a little whiff of ether.

So, today I started checking the GP system. The PO bypassed the controller in favor of a manual switch. I put new Beru GPs in it right after I bought it a year and a half ago, so I figured they probably were OK. So I started with checking the relay first. Worked just fine.

So, next I started checking the GPs. Suprise! 7 out of 8 of them were open-circuit! Put in a new set and she fires RIGHT up now!

So its a classic "which came first - the chicken or the egg" question.

Did the starter getting weak and turning the engine too slowly lead to cycling the GPs too many times and burn them out?

Or did the GPs burn out leading to excessive cranking and heat related deterioration of the starter?

Either way, it is really nice not to have to pop the hood every time I want to start it!

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was glow plug relay, IH was waaaaaaayyyyyy cheaper than anyone else, $110. CSK/AutoZone were 150-170 NAPA was Double IH, and Ferd was triple IH.