Finally got me 7.3

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You my regret the electric fans........... we've had sever here try, and always seem to go back to the factory fan and a good Motorcraft Fan Clutch....... the electrics just don't move enough air when your are maxing out the truck...... heck, even the new 6.7PSDs still have a mechanical fan, as do "big trucks"

Calvin,

What is that big bridle on the back of the blue Chebby????? I've seen a couple from a distance, that are sitting just like yours (In travel position, I assume). Never seen one "In-Use"......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You my regret the electric fans........... we've had sever here try, and always seem to go back to the factory fan and a good Motorcraft Fan Clutch....... the electrics just don't move enough air when your are maxing out the truck...... heck, even the new 6.7PSDs still have a mechanical fan, as do "big trucks"

Calvin,

What is that big bridle on the back of the blue Chebby????? I've seen a couple from a distance, that are sitting just like yours (In travel position, I assume). Never seen one "In-Use"......
scott-
you talking about the towing unit? That is a Vulcan "Super Cradle". It's the predecessor to the wheelift trucks. It's simple, rugged, and alot more work to safely tow a car. it's like throwing dollies every time you hook up. Those who grew up around these beasts know how to recover vehicles like noone else can. the black one next to the Chevy is the one I learned on back in the mid 80's. i'll find some pic of them being worked.
added in edlit....
here's the only pic of it working I can find for the moment.....

Attachments

• ttaupercradletowing.jpg
    ttaupercradletowing.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 59

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, that was it......

I see what you mean.... you use the boom and "make" a wheel lift. Do you have to pick up the car first, or roll it on the "bottom" to lift it?....... I can see the wheel lift is easier..... not necessary better, but easier......

Around here, seems like all we have now are rollbacks mostly on medium duty chassis now, F-4/550 "werckers" with a wheel lift, some don't even have a boom, a few "repo rigs" that have all the "stuff" in the pickup bed, so they can roll in-cog-neet-o...... or the BIG 4 or 5 axle "Big Truck" wreckers........... many of them seem to have a "wheel lift" now also........... They pick up the front of the tractor a few inches, run the air and electrical from the wrecker to the trailer and "roll on"...... they don't even put the "towing bar" lights on the trailer, they just used the factory lighting if it all works.......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that was it......

I see what you mean.... you use the boom and "make" a wheel lift. Do you have to pick up the car first, or roll it on the "bottom" to lift it?....... I can see the wheel lift is easier..... not necessary better, but easier......

Around here, seems like all we have now are rollbacks mostly on medium duty chassis now, F-4/550 "werckers" with a wheel lift, some don't even have a boom, a few "repo rigs" that have all the "stuff" in the pickup bed, so they can roll in-cog-neet-o...... or the BIG 4 or 5 axle "Big Truck" wreckers........... many of them seem to have a "wheel lift" now also........... They pick up the front of the tractor a few inches, run the air and electrical from the wrecker to the trailer and "roll on"...... they don't even put the "towing bar" lights on the trailer, they just used the factory lighting if it all works.......
you undo the straps and set the pans in front and behind the axle being lifted. the lower part of the pans are "cinched" together with chains on the right and left sides, drawing the pans as close as you can to the tire. Then you set the straps on all four corners on both sides and lift. Lastly, you connect the towbar to the front pan and slide it into the receiver on the towbed to keep the vehicle from slamming into the truck. Set you drag lites and then you're good-to-go.

Highlander

Reaction score
I heard that

I have a really big radiator , so hoping to compensate for that. Plus in Washington state, heat is rarely a problem.This summer it hit above 90 in Seattle a few times, which drove everyone nuts....not like they need any encouragement....

I've seen a two fan set up. but it isn't cheap. Going to check around in the scrap yards and see if some one had one ...and the gauges for temp and alt....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Most use the Taurus fans I think.
But you could also go the electric fan clutch route and keep the mechanical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Highlander

Reaction score
I am going for fuel mileage ....right now i am getting around 10 ...doubt if i will see more then 12, but am going to try...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not a whole lot you can do with 5.13 gearing for economy but slow down.......way down lol.
axle code 72 = 4.63
axle code 73 = 5.13

10 mpg is fantastic for such rigs imo.that's like getting 20mpg in a pickup due to how much more capable the truck is (more load in one trip.)

e-fans in an f-super would be a lost cause im afraid.it's the gears that get ya.....but it's the gears that make 'em so capable too.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know....i should be glad it's 10 instead of 5.....

5-6 mpg is what these gal's bring in with the standard 460 gas engine.which is insane they even bothered offering such a beast.a feller would be better off just going with a medium duty diesel truck.

Lumberjack84

Reaction score
Nice to know there are more people into tow trucks :) wish I still had the ol '91 f350 wrecker. 7.3 4wd 5spd, helluva truck and yes it had a sling ;) have to dins pics of it sometime towcat

Highlander

Reaction score
Check Amazon too

i saw it on Ebay this morning for 150 .00 bucks......now its 172.00 for a 30 gallon tank...Christ, i guess when i look at it again....it will be 200...

its 15 by 15........66 inch long.....i have a lot of room, some one also did some fancy exhaust work so that isnt in the way...i will take some pics asap...busted my camera phone...opps...

There is a Canadian company , Spectra, who make fuel tanks, They have a 24.5 tank. They claim to test all the tanks. I dont trust things of Ebay anymore. Look on Amazon Its 149.00 with shipping...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a couple of examples where a sling is not obsolete.

Attachments

• ttsling1.jpg
    ttsling1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 16
  • ttsling2.jpg
    ttsling2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 14
  • ttsling8.jpg
    ttsling8.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 14
  • ttsling10.jpg
    ttsling10.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 13

Highlander

Reaction score
I understand....i am still in the process of getting boomer legal. I will probably got back to oregon and run it there. You have to deal with too many organizations here in Washington to be legal to tow....

The sling needs one of the rubber pieces replaced....its pretty tore up....who ever owned t before me used it a lot.........once i can get more pics, i will post them....

Once i get past the fuel problem, i need to fix the drive line emergency brake. Have yet to pull the drum off and see what the problem is.....hoping it just needs a set of shoes....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand....i am still in the process of getting boomer legal. I will probably got back to oregon and run it there. You have to deal with too many organizations here in Washington to be legal to tow....

The sling needs one of the rubber pieces replaced....its pretty tore up....who ever owned t before me used it a lot.........once i can get more pics, i will post them....

Once i get past the fuel problem, i need to fix the drive line emergency brake. Have yet to pull the drum off and see what the problem is.....hoping it just needs a set of shoes....
these people are your "friend" for parking brake parts. pray it didn't go through a thermonuclear meltdown.
http://www.allstategear.com/ZFParkingBrake.htm
these people are your "friend" for towtruck parts....
www.awdirect.com or www.zips.com