Finally fixed my 1990 7.3

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a couple forums about my truck stalling in a turn lane and needed help sadley no one replied but I never posted up pictures so maybe that was it don't know but two batteries, alternator, some burnt wires and ground wires not properly mounted and eletric pump to help my IP, and a new installment of a pushbutton start , and some TLC in the engine bay and drivetrain I have now gone through 90 gallons of diesel with Kleen additive pushing about 22-23 mpg highway and 18 city and haven't had a issue yet and first start no problems I love this IDI, those who feel like your constantly having problems just spend 3 weeks like I did and go through everything bumper to bumper and also amsoil... Wow what a difference :)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Since you didn't get any response, it's darn hard to fix an electrical problem Via a computer. Some will take a SWAG at it, but then it may take you on a wild ass chase. Ya just gotta chase it down yourself. Bet you learned a lot doing that.

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir i did, main lesson diesels are not gasser, where if you buy it used and don't go over it first thing it's not a big deal if something breaks, but diesels there a whole new beast but after weeks of searching this forum, occasionally I'll check over at truck-forum.com I think it is and found in all honestly the diesel power plants in trucks and there support system makes more sense and simpler then the gassers, so what was my problem? I didn't l

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir i did, main lesson diesels are not gasser, where if you buy it used and don't go over it first thing it's not a big deal if something breaks, but diesels there a whole new beast but after weeks of searching this forum, occasionally I'll check over at truck-forum.com I think it is and found in all honestly the diesel power plants in trucks and there support system makes more sense and simpler then the gassers, so what was my problem? I didn't look over or take pictures of some stuff that didn't look right and ask questions instead I fixed one thing that was corrected the right way, but the PO had electrical stuff so jerry rig, I just cuased a chain reaction, but self teaching and some beer and local diesel nuts stopping by helping me out finally got her on the road and got a hook up with amsoil so I'm happy and now since she reliable and gone through by multiple certified techs just for good safe keeping I'm comfortable starting some projects and tech articles to help out new idi owners or old dogs but new tricks

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are some impressive MPG's, I'm hoping to get there someday. Right now I'm ok with 18 mpg hwy (warm months).

Last edited:

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think me driving my truck like a semi, seeing my 5spd 1st gear is more and less granny gear, and Uncle Sam heavy ass humvee tires and rims takes my highway rpm down a bit and my max speed is 55 once a 55 I stop there I'm city and towns and backwoods i play with the peddle more but going to do. Step by step tech file soon but my
Double cone cold air intake and bored out and polish intake manifold I think is really helped me get there

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Happy to know you have it running now. These are silly simple engines to make run. All we need is about 7 volts to the fuel shutoff solenoid in the injection pump and fuel to that and a bump start. We are off and running. If we could make an manual fuel shutoff valve we would never again need an electric start. Just roll down a hill and bump it. We are running till we run out of fuel or oil. BTW both are the same to some owners. One member here would change the engine oil and pour it directly into a fuel tank and run it. Never did ask now long the fuel filter lasted...

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of reusing oil, I'm coming up with a contratment where i take any motor oil and ATF, and run it through series of filters utilizing one drum for waste, and once it get process through all my filters and immersion heaters I can use it as fuel additive to lubricate my fuel system, I'm going to try and utilize same concept but slightly different for pure/clean diesel from local pumps or that's store in tanks and purify it even better to extend filters and preffilters for those with eletric pumps, I'm 22 year old kid that's works on gas turbine engines on ships, got a lot of ideas for my weekends off starting Nex year

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try looking into a pyrex refractory tower. Heat up the oil and run it thru the tower under vacuum. As the oil enters the tower it will boil or fractionate. The lites go up and the heavys go down to the bottom. Run the overheads thru a head exchanger similar to what a moonshiner does and you have distilled oil free of the harmful soot and heavy crap. What goes off in the bottoms is crap like tar. Its actually called tars or bottoms material. If you were dehydrating the oil the water comes off the top overhead and the bottoms is kept as run grade material. In this case you would want to distill it one more time to get the unwanted crap out of it. The glass towers are about 6 ft tall and can be as much as 4 to 6 inch diameter. In the tower is a material called packing. It too is pyrex glass and it just moves the product around in the tower as its being fractionated or distilled.

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds actually better, I'm a engineer in the navy on the ships and was going towards that route since I work on the purifiers and coloacers or how ever you spell it witch is our truck version of fuel water separator, and preffilters for turbines consuming 300gph, my idea started with a forum member on her can't find who right now but he install a eletric pump with a preffilter attached and was saying how he cleans it every oil change, and I was just thinking if diesel from pumps and running through our system is that bad why not make it better by our own system, I have 24+ sample bottles from the navy for fuel and lube oil for clear and bright test so that's how I will determine end results, just a thought. But I might be PM you ICAN if your willing to help:)