Finally addressing sagging front springs

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After listening to your suggestions and talking to countless 4x4 and parts shops, I've finally made the decision to go with a set of re-arched springs. It's going to cost me $375 - and that's with me dropping my truck off in the morning and picking it up completed in the afternoon. The guy at the shop seems to know what he is talking about and wasn't in a hurry to sell me a bunch of stuff I don't need ;Sweet .

Once I get my front end back up to its intended height, I plan on doing the airbag thing. That should keep me going for a while.

My truck goes in tomorrow so I should be able to post results tomorrow evening. Then it's off to pick up my "new-to-me" slide-in camper on Saturday :D .

More to follow, Brian

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
What kind of airbag thing are you talking about? Front bags on top of the springs? If so, I've got pics the set up I used if you'd like to see it.

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott, I'm going to wait until I see what happens when I put this camper on. Right now, I think I get away with installing airbag only on the rear axle. I was leaning toward the Firestones. I still would mind seeing those pictures.

Brian

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I thought you were talking about front bags. I don't have rear bags yet. I'll snap some shots of the fronts tommorrow. wifey cleared the memory card a few days ago. -cuss. Bags on the front are great for plowing or heavy winch/bumper etc.... Mine are Firestone bags & seem to be tough as nails. I've had a little over 100 psi in each bag with no trouble. When I get around to the rear, Firestone will be my first choice.

Last edited:

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just brought my camper home and it looks like rear bag are needed. My truck handles the weight all right, but bags will put me back on the level and give me a little peace of mind. I get a pretty good bounce going over rough road.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a set of Firestone rear bags? I seem to remember that they go for around $220-240.

Brian

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mojave Red said:
Well, I just brought my camper home and it looks like rear bag are needed. My truck handles the weight all right, but bags will put me back on the level and give me a little peace of mind. I get a pretty good bounce going over rough road.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a set of Firestone rear bags? I seem to remember that they go for around $220-240.

Brian
brian-
I just checked www.awdirect.com and looked in their airspring section. They have two flavors. One is the lowrider style (single rubber cylinder) kit for $239 and the big rig style (double hump) for $299. hope this helps

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Brian,

Here's those pics. I paid 410.00 including the pump & in cab controller (lousy pic - There's a toggle on each side of the gauge. Up fills & down dumps the bags) from Michigan Spring Works. They ship anywhere. Rear bags should be about the same price. Good Luck

Attachments

• P4240015.JPG
    P4240015.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P4240016.JPG
    P4240016.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P4240017.JPG
    P4240017.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P4240019.JPG
    P4240019.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P4240021.JPG
    P4240021.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 7

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a sweet set up. I want some. Man, you guys and your little ways to spend my loot. Those bags would be sweet on the four corners of my rig.. Now I have to get a camper to go along with the bags. Scotty

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I thought this might be worth mentioning because I've heard it from a few people now. IMO, front bags wouldn't be such a great idea if your plan to load down the rear of the truck regularly (sp.). I tow a skid loader every so often & I dump the front bags completely to bring some weight back to the front end. I don't have a camper or anything like that, but the loader on a trailer puts the rear of the truck on the helper springs BIGTIME!! :eek:. I put those front bags on for two reasons: 1. I used to plow snow & my blade was extremely heavy which really pulled the front of the truck down & 2. I installed them when I had my stock springs in there to try to level the truck unloaded. It worked somewhat, but I had to put 90-100psi in the bags which resulted in a very bad ride. I since installed the 2" liftkit which leveled the truck like I wanted it & it would have been more trouble to remove the system that just leave it there. Just some food for thought. I would also like to install the rear bags, but there are other things the truck NEEDS (read Gearvendors :D )

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apextrans said:
...but the loader on a trailer puts the rear of the truck on the helper springs
I have run into the opposite problem. If I have a car vs a truck on the trailer and the my truck is not too heavily loaded, the helper springs are unloading going over bumps. I have been thinking of replacing the helper springs with the air bags in attempt to get a better ride.

here's the link for the Firestone RideRite bags http://www.riderite.com/product_info_RR.htm

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
maybe my rear springs are shot. Mine NEVER comes off the helpers. When I hit bumps pulling the loader, it sounds like the rear is gonna come up through the bed. It is a pretty big skid steer thought. New Holland LX865.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I don't know exactly, but I always back the loader on & come back far enough to center the weight over the tandems. It's pretty well balanced, just heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online