filtering WMO - quick setup?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, we were cleaning my buddy's garage today and we found like 10 gallons of WMO that wanna burn in my IDI - problem is we don't have any filtering system, and I'd love to have that stuff in my tanks by tomorrow night. So what would y'all suggest - get a deep clean bucket, throw several layers of thick fabric over it, and pour slowly, will that work? The WMO came from a V6 Chevy truck that had no blow-by, and tis gonna be mixed with the clean diesel in my tank. I should probably turn the IP down a bit as well? I make plenty of pretty brown smoke now, nothing excessive like a Cummins pre-staging for a drag-race, but more like a big rig taking off a stop light... Thanks!

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Ivan, I filter mine thru a cotton t-shirt. I think it does an alright job of catching gunk and other crap. I'm sure there is a better way to do it, but this works for me.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeremy, I'll see what pieces of clothing can be sacrificed for that tomorrow. Would you suggest I turn the pump down some? It don't smoke as much as your F350, and you seem to be doing just fine, so I should be okay too?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Here is what I did:
From McMaster-Carr I ordered the following filterbags:
5162K37 Polyester Felt 50 micron Size1
5162K85 " " 10 micron Size 1
5162K76 " " 1 micron Size2.

The Size one bags are 7" diameter X 16 1/2 inches long.
The size 2 bag is 7 inches diameter X 32 inches long
I put the 50 micron bag inside the 10 micron bag, and then this inside the longer 1 micron bag.

I suspended the whole thing from a shopmate, but I have seen PVC pipe frames made for this. A 5 gallon bucket is placed under the bags.
I poured some WVO into the top of the filter and clean --filtered to 1 micron--oil came out the bottom, and into the bucket.
I was surprised at how quickly the oil came thru the filters.
Total cost for the tree filters, including shipping was $21.18.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I since i didn't have time to do online shopping, I did what Jeremy said - took a cotton piece of cloth and folded it twice (so that's 4 layers), the placed a terry towel on top of it (5th layer), clamped that over a big bucket, and started pouring the WMO in - when I was done and unfolded the cotton sheet the bottom layer had no dirt whatsoever, and the layers above it were progressively worse, with the terry towel taking most of the nasty. I was surprised how easy it was to pour the "clean" oil it in the tank, it was a smooth as new oil is. So now my tank is back on full, and this weekend's trip will end up being for free :D

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cool, blue jean legs work pretty good to in a pinch. i wouldn't worry about the pump timing. i don't even running 100

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jred, it ain't so much the timing, as tis amount of fuel it dumps in the engine - I know WMO makes more energy, so the EGTs are more likely to climb, or something like that. But I drove the truck today, and all is good, if anything it actually seems to run cooler, even tho I was cruising in the city hitting a red light every other block.

discbrks

Reaction score
MLSC, are you running 100% wmo? or a blend? I'm gonna give it a try later this week with a 50/50 mix.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tis something like 15 gallons diesel and 5 gallons WMO, so that's a 75:25 blend. I'd have gone with a 50:50, but apparently I only managed to burn 5 gallons from my rear tank last week. Now I got a bucket of 5 more gallons of WMO for future use, it'll go in at next fillup.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Jred, it ain't so much the timing, as tis amount of fuel it dumps in the engine - I know WMO makes more energy, so the EGTs are more likely to climb, or something like that. But I drove the truck today, and all is good, if anything it actually seems to run cooler, even tho I was cruising in the city hitting a red light every other block.

i thought and heard that to but when i was running 100 WMO for my trip my EGT temps actaully seemed about 100deg lower than #2. it was hard to tell for sure since the terrain usually changed somewhat by the time the fuel purged through but high EGT's were never a problem for me.