Figuring out a ZF's for Bronco build

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have to get this worked out and soon...real soon. I would like to find a ZF for my Bronco build, I would much prefer the WIDE ratio with the deep 1st and Reverse for the Bronco cause I need low gears for wheeling...I don't need the close ratios for towing cause what I would tow would be small compared to you fellows towing 5rs n such...

So let me ask this simple question,

I may be able to access a ZF from either a F 450 SD 2WD or F 350 4x but they are both...460 gassers, I know that can be redrilled. But could it be that the internals are taken out and rebuilt, then installed INTO a diesel case? Anyone have any ideas?

Please help me get this worked out, that Transmission is one of the last remaining cruxes to my overall build into a nice 1Ton Bronco with Solid axle 60 in front and 10.25 rear...LOCKED!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, guts will interchange...sounds like a sweet project.

Thanks, I thought so, Just not sure.

Take a looky here for the gasser side...the Bare frame in the thread is for the Frame up diesel build up with 1 tons:sly

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?158836-Double-sided-Bronco-Build..huh..***

That's the basic thing...build the gasser work the body interior etc...build the Diesel and susp on another frame and then transfer body to diesel and frame build:eek:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Sounds like the logical way to do it...alot less downtime and you can work at a slower (read: financially stable) pace.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Awesome!

I really have to get me another Bronco...

Bronco...ocnorB

especially now that the prices are coming back down to earth! They were insane there for a while.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the logical way to do it...alot less downtime and you can work at a slower (read: financially stable) pace.

Thanks...that's why I called it a double sided Bronco build...:sly

Allows me the time, money to do the build in a really Ass Kickin way!

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting ready to drill my 460 case and install in my truck. How difficult would the swap of the internals be? What all is involved?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You need a press to work on a ZF5. O and you need a diesel case too. Unless you has almost nothing invested into the 2 transmissions it would kinda be pointless. because once you switch the diesel gears into the gasser trans, it becomes USELESS .

it would be far easier to find a 96-97 s47 ZF5

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a press to work on a ZF5. O and you need a diesel case too. Unless you has almost nothing invested into the 2 transmissions it would kinda be pointless. because once you switch the diesel gears into the gasser trans, it becomes USELESS .

it would be far easier to find a 96-97 s47 ZF5

Press...no worries....two trans...well if that's what it takes for me to get a deep reduction first and reverse...then I need two..once the one I want is built the rest is scrap to me...OR drill out the 460 Trans...just not sure how well those hold up...

Again Lookin for a few options that are proven...

Finding a 2 year only ZF...here in Canada...ya may as well attempt self induced open heart surgery for the ease that would be....:rotflmao

thanks for the idea though...if I happen upon one great...but not likely

Anyone got one for sale on the cheap?

A ZF6sp would be ideal...except that damn output shaft diameter sux for going into a 203/205 doubler setup I plan..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im getting ready to drill my 460 case and install in my truck. How difficult would the swap of the internals be? What all is involved?

You Likely have the easier of the two options IMHO....lol...Just for me I think I would get the holes welded up first...then machined out to the correct locations...just sayin is all..but what do I know:rolleyes:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I've kind been wondering what's up with everyone machining out the holes and pulling measurements and this, that and the other thing. Why not just bolt an adapter plate up in the holes you CAN use and using the plate as a template to drill the new holes? Seems a bit easier.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I've kind been wondering what's up with everyone machining out the holes

because you cant just DRILL new holes. If you look at the write up, you will see the 460 and IDI blot pattern have a couple holes that OVERLAP. and you cant just dill a new hole halfway thru a existing hole. A drill bit will walk. So machining is necessary

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Why not just use the SD one, machine it, and call it a day? The transfer case can bolt to it, and no swapping a lot of parts!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online