Fast idle solenoid

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fast idle is sticking. I noticed there is some build-up on the pin. Can I take it apart and clean it up?

1989 F250 7.3idi 95,000!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not really but clean it anyway you can. Its just a brass pin. there is no seal on that brass plunger shaft.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine acts weird sometimes too. 90% of the time it works fine but once in a while it will come out farther and idle @1600 rpm till it kicks off.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do know after the key ON, you have to cycle the foot throttle one time for the solenoid to set, it's not strong enough to push open the IP arm.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put mine on a toggle switch. to help with cold starts and warm ups. my sensor in the head or block doesnt work.

be careful though you can ruin an injection pump running it on all the time.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put mine on a toggle switch. to help with cold starts and warm ups. my sensor in the head or block doesnt work.

be careful though you can ruin an injection pump running it on all the time.

Ruin the IP just from high idle? I'm assuming your wiring turns on the high idle as well as the timing advance. To do it right, you need to use a diode to prevent powering the timing advance when you flip your switch for high idle. There is an article about it in the tech section.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Ruin the IP just from high idle? I'm assuming your wiring turns on the high idle as well as the timing advance. To do it right, you need to use a diode to prevent powering the timing advance when you flip your switch for high idle. There is an article about it in the tech section.

I don't follow that, the advance is supposed to be on at high idle, that's why both run off the same switch in the head.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the factory sending unit in the head uses the coolant temp to keep both on. The advance is only there to help with cold starts. The thing we are discussing is manually turning on the high idle for extended periods of time. For this, you don't want the timing advance to be activated, but if you simply run switched power to the high idle to turn on when needed, the advance will be powered too.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do know after the key ON, you have to cycle the foot throttle one time for the solenoid to set, it's not strong enough to push open the IP arm.

I was directing that to largemarge, not you Chris142

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I knw that. I unhooked the temp sensor and cleaned up the contacts they were gunked up. Cleaned up brass pin and she is working. Thanks

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is it possible to have Continuous high idle?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk