fast idle solenoid vs. timing advance

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, for those who have followed my woes with the new IP install, I finally got things sorted out a little better...I was, quite literally totally retarded. Got it to the static marks and she is happier, but seems to want to go a little more advanced...the problem is the fast idle solenoid is smashed up against the upper radiator hose, and I cant get any more movement from the ip.

Anyone got a suggestion for a work around? I am honestly thinking of temporarily ditching the fast idle so I can get it through inspection, then figure out a way to deal with it later.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fast idle system never has worked. My sensor went bad is the reason, and instead of buying a new sensor, I wired it up manually, expecting great things. Not much difference really, and not much advantage I could see, so I took the switch back off, and I don't use the fast idle/cold timing advance feature, with no ill affects. So I don't see why you could not take it off.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a heads-up, even with the solenoid out of the way you are already at or near the end of the adjustments slots that allow the IP to be turned.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, you should be AT the end of the range of motion. You can unbolt the fast idle solenoid bracket, and you will still find that it does not go any further. Either the pump is wore out, or your timing gear is off a tooth.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pump is a fresh build from mwfi and the injectors are new as well

as far as the bracket, i think it was bent..made it straight and got a bit more play.

I got a solid diesel rattle, and a constant gray smoke....she revs fine but blows a cloud when doing it....

From my limited understanding I should be adjusting 1/16" at a time...is this correct?

Unfortunatly I have only found two near by diesel shops that will discuss timing...one does it by ear and wants $150(which I am confident with a little help I can do just as well myself), the other wants to plug into my computer (and fails to understand there is not one)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pump is a fresh build from mwfi and the injectors are new as well

as far as the bracket, i think it was bent..made it straight and got a bit more play.

I got a solid diesel rattle, and a constant gray smoke....she revs fine but blows a cloud when doing it....

From my limited understanding I should be adjusting 1/16" at a time...is this correct?

Unfortunatly I have only found two near by diesel shops that will discuss timing...one does it by ear and wants $150(which I am confident with a little help I can do just as well myself), the other wants to plug into my computer (and fails to understand there is not one)

This is the way I have heard you can time it by ear. Go down behind the upper radiator hose area, a little on the passenger side, and way down in there you will find the sensor I was talking about. Unplug the wire from the sensor, and get a short jumper wire. With the engine running jump the terminals on the sensor plug. If you goose the throttle, your fast idle solenoid should extend, and it will also put voltage on the timing advance on the pump.

With the jumper wire in, you should hear that "solid diesel rattle" or some people call it the "powerstroke rattle". When you pull the jumper out, the idle will drop, and the "rattle" should diminish. If the rattle is still present, then your timing is too advanced. If you never get the rattle when you jump the sensor plug, then your timing is too retarded.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool cool....go to know as that was also my concern...was I fighting with the cold start/advance system. Gonna start messing with it again tonight.