fast idle solenoid height problem

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting a baby moose onto my international 6.9. It all went in great.. only problem is the height of the fast idle solenoid. It sits about a 1/2 inch above the lever.

I'm not too worried about it because you can adjust the throttle with a spinny dial in the cab (no idea what this is called.. diode?). I'm pretty sure it's done mechanically too... but it may use the solenoid. I have a few questions.

My first thought was to make something to mount the solenoid lower... but i'm worried about it opening the pump up too much. Does anyone have photos of the ford setup? The other option is to just extend the lever higher. Perhaps i'll just leave it off and try to find a ford part at a yard.

thoughts?

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Are you talking about the bracket the holds the solenoid to the pump? If so, I suppose you could rig one up but it would be a heck of a lot easier to scrounge one up somewhere.

And the actual height of the pushrod can be adjusted by turning it with a small wrench, can't recall the size off hand. smaller the 5/16 I think,

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am assuming that your international fast idle is different than the ford unit. This is where the problem comes in?

The ford unit is adjustable with the 1/4 inch wrench

I can get a picture for you tomorrow evening.

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah the fast idle is different, as well as the throttle arm. They're both taller and the IH throttle has governor springs on it. The solenoid would have to be lowered about 1/4 inch to work... 1/2 inch to look perfect. I'm not sure if the ford solenoid is installed at a different angle however. i've gotten a new throttle return spring(s) and installed them. One of the bolts that hold the solenoid bracket in is a post, the springs are going to that. I've left the solenoid off for now as my truck you can adjust the throttle with a spinny dial which ties into the throttle cable.

I'm going to get the truck started without it... I may try to drop it down and see where it puts the RPM. If it doesn't work well i'll probably hit up a salvage yard on my way back across the country. Thanks for the help