Fan clutch removal help?

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the tools to remove the fan clutch from the auto parts store, but I just can't seem to get the old fan clutch off. It is hard to hold the keeper and pry on the wrench. My question is: are these fan clutch right to tight or left to tight. In other words do I press the wrench towards the passenger side or the driver side to remove?????

I did notice that the new fan clutch has a R on it and the arrow above the R is going the wrong way to the left????? It is a Hayden 2833

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
It is left handed threads, so to take it off you will need to turn towards the drivers fender. I've found using a large monkey wrench and a hammer tapping it two or three times will usually break it free.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had reasonable luck using a punch and a hammer on one of the fan clutch hex corners. They can be stubborn. Good luck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the above will work. They are left hand threads and its cast into the top of the fan schroud too. We often overlook the obvious when its right there looking at us. I know I do all the time in my life. I'm looking for something thats right in front of me and I can't see it. So I give up and start looking for something else and well there it is. Yes, Those wrenches are difficult to use but they will work. Some guys make the holding tool by drilleing two holes in a piece of 1/4 inch flat plate. Then attach it to the water pump pully . Make it about 30 inches long. Please use some blue loctite on the hub threads and the torque required is 165 lbs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the tools to remove the fan clutch from the auto parts store, but I just can't seem to get the old fan clutch off. It is hard to hold the keeper and pry on the wrench. My question is: are these fan clutch right to tight or left to tight. In other words do I press the wrench towards the passenger side or the driver side to remove?????

I did notice that the new fan clutch has a R on it and the arrow above the R is going the wrong way to the left????? It is a Hayden 2833
May wanna look into one of these here!

Rock auto just delivered this Lisle pneumatic fan clutch wrench set (#43300), i can't wait to do my water pump now :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JU_cpAoNvdA

Thanks for the idea Riot!

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks got it, the parts guy gave me the 2835 which is right hand threads so I trying to remove the clutch the wrong way.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. That really sucks. I'll bet he gave you the powerstroke clutch because those water pumps turn the opposite direction our pumps turn. Thats really sucky right there. Well that wrong thread fan clutch sure as heck would not have threaded on the water pump. I'm sure if you got that far into this job the air would have been blue with the new words describing what a horrible job you had to do. Right hand thread wont fit a left hand thread and its tuff finding this out the hard way. Its like some fool mixing the course and fine nuts in a bin. Pick up what you want. Go to the jobsite and try to make up something. Feel stupid as hell when you figure out you have the wrong nuts for the job.. Happens but I still hate it just the same.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My cheap, easy removal/installation tool is a punch attachment for my air hammer. Works fast, just be sure not to tighten the nut too tight using this method or you'll break the water pump. I go just a little tighter than when the nut stops turning. Last year, I replaced the water pump on a friend's '92 Dakota with a 3.9L. He had another guy who was supposed to do it but couldn't get the nut loose. He was amazed at how fast I took the fan off.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
My cheap, easy removal/installation tool is a punch attachment for my air hammer. Works fast, just be sure not to tighten the nut too tight using this method or you'll break the water pump. I go just a little tighter than when the nut stops turning. Last year, I replaced the water pump on a friend's '92 Dakota with a 3.9L. He had another guy who was supposed to do it but couldn't get the nut loose. He was amazed at how fast I took the fan off.

To each his own, but I feel like that is a terrible thing for your water pump bearings. It may be a great last resort method to get a stuck fan off but I dont recommend it for a new pump.

gandalf

Reaction score
Thanks got it, the parts guy gave me the 2835 which is right hand threads so I trying to remove the clutch the wrong way.

You say you were tightening that nut as hard as you could? It should be on there pretty good now. So, step back, have a beer or two to build up your strength, and try again, turning it the proper direction.

When I was growing up this was referred to as an English thread, I guess because it goes the wrong way.:rolleyes:

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I knew which way it turn, it came off no problem. Like someone said, you don't want to get to crazy with impacts or heat since you will take out the water pump. I was looking at the new parts threads to see which way to turn, but noticed the arrows did not match and thats when I posted here and in no time I was headed in the right direction...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with the punch/chisel method, is that when that nut shows up in front of a guy with the proper tools, he can't get his wrench on the nut cause it's all boogered up!