Factory Turbo Removed. What to check?

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a factory turbo engine with the turbo removed. From what I can tell the engine has been repainted, possibly rebuilt. I have no idea on the mileage or if it was anything more than an aerosol overhaul as it was already been swapped once into a truck when I got the truck. I am going to send the turbine side, up pipes, down pipe, and manifolds out for ceramic coating.

How do I tell what ATS I have? It is wastegated.
How do I dismantle the turbo to separate the turbine and compressor housings?
How do I check shaft end play. What is the acceptable limit for shaft end play.
Anything else I should check or inspect before dismantling the turbo?
Any tips or tricks to tearing it down?
How about putting it back together?
Would having it re-balanced be worth it in case I did something to the balance?

Thanks in advance. I am proficient with engines but this is my first turbo and 120k RPM can make small mistakes huge quickly.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also is the up pipe form the drivers side manifold different from a C6 truck to a ZF5 truck? My up pipe is dented and needs replaced so I do I copy the one I have or route something new?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also is the up pipe form the drivers side manifold different from a C6 truck to a ZF5 truck? My up pipe is dented and needs replaced so I do I copy the one I have or route something new?

The up pipe is the same no matter what Trans you have. Also the up pipe is built with a dent in it from factory, nothing to worry about there. It's cast iron and cast doesn't like being bending, if prefers breaking or cracking just FYI.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cross over pipe is the same, it almost sits under the engine so Trans makes no difference.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On some turbo kits they were actually different. May not have been the ats though. Take yours to a good shop and have them replicate it, or use yours and drive it there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
088, 093 and factory turbo use the same crossover pipe.. I will have some fabbed, mandrel tubing, thick wall and wrapped crossovers available soon.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you have a new to you turbo, I'd just go and have me or Russ rebuild it. No sense worrying about how much play it has, because its certainly going to have more than new. No one is going to be able to tell you how many miles are left in it. Why have to bother with it again, when you can get it rebuilt and bolt it on and not ever worry about it. If it is an 093, we have exchange units available.
http://conestogadiesel.com/products/ford.html

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you have a new to you turbo, I'd just go and have me or Russ rebuild it. No sense worrying about how much play it has, because its certainly going to have more than new. No one is going to be able to tell you how many miles are left in it. Why have to bother with it again, when you can get it rebuilt and bolt it on and not ever worry about it. If it is an 093, we have exchange units available.
http://conestogadiesel.com/products/ford.html

If it has been rebuilt why I want to send it off to get rebuilt again? I know that making sure it has been rebuilt is best but, I don't have the extra money to spend on it unless I have to. Also from what I have researched it is the 093 turbo.