Factory Tach Question

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
My '84 did not come with a tach at all. I've seen a couple of OEM (diesel) tachs for sale on Evilbay. The cluster part seems pretty straight forward to install. My questions is, does the truck already have the sensor end to make the gauge work? Or is this something that I'll have to figure out?

Just wondering if everything is there except the gauge itself or if nothing is really there. I'm hoping it is plug-n-play...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
My '84 did not come with a tach at all. I've seen a couple of OEM (diesel) tachs for sale on Evilbay. The cluster part seems pretty straight forward to install. My questions is, does the truck already have the sensor end to make the gauge work? Or is this something that I'll have to figure out?

Just wondering if everything is there except the gauge itself or if nothing is really there. I'm hoping it is plug-n-play...

I believe the wiring is in the harness for the tach (not 100% though). There is a sensor that threads into your IP/Timing cover on the front of the engine. On the motor I had without the tach sensor, there was a plug with about a 1" or so hex head.

I am not sure if Bill Miller is on this site, but on www.thedieselstop.com, he is known as dreamachinef250 and has done the update. He has some pictures in the photo gallery over there as well IIRC. The search function over there sucks, but you might be able to find something or just post asking him for help, he generally replies pretty quickly.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have the complete cluster, the install is very smple. I just did a conversion on Brian's truck and it took a the most 15 mins. the tach needs two inputs from the sensor added onto the harness plug. I salvaged out a f250SC and had Brian strip the harness out so he has the entire run of "factory" wiring. I can post pics in a little bit on what you need to add.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that some of the earlier 6.9's did not have the hole for the tach sensor in the IP cover if the truck did not have a tach. I don't know what year they started casting the holes in all of them.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Also, you can add just the tach to your cluster so you don't lose your correct mileage. Once you have the cluster out, you'll see how easy it is.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has the provision for a tach. So it's just plug and play? What do I need to add to the wiring harness towcat? (I will be picking up a donor 86 truck with a tach)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should find a two pin connector in the engine harness for the tach sensor if it is going to be plug and play. 83's had no tach provision or wiring, so putting a cluster in one of those means running the two wires that are missing. I'm not sure when the 84's started getting them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist