factory/ATS y-pipe to up-pipe fit

SKimballC

Reaction score
As some of you know I pulled the older style ATS turbo off my truck in favor of a factory unit off of a '94. I have been plagued by exhaust leaks at the y-pipe to up-pipe union.
The y-pipe I have fits very loosely into the up-pipe, which I noticed when I test-fitted them before they went on the truck. The ends of neither look damaged, so I wonder how tight of a fit it's supposed to be. The gap I have is big, 1/8" or so between the y-pipe and up-pipe. The y-pipe obviously can't slide further up into the up-pipe because its located by the studs on the manifold. I have tried every sealant I can find and nothing will stand the heat for very long. Perhaps that's due to how much I have had to use to fill the gap.
RLDSL is sending me another y-pipe, so I'll compare that to mine.
:confused: Any other ideas? Any feedback on how tight those pipes should be when slid together?

IDIeselman

Reaction score
If the new one don't work out take one to your local muffler shop and have them bump out the flare a bit until it just fits in , It may take a few trips but:puke: an exhaust leak.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used stove pipe cement when I put my turbo back on the other day. It's made by a company called Rutland, I think. I figured if it could handle the hot smoke and heat of a stove pipe, it'd be close enough for a diesel truck. Turns out, it works great so far. It's really thick and gooey, and sets up fast. I was worried about it flaking off and getting into the turbo, but so far, no problems...

I searched high and low for something that would work, as I had exhaust leaks from the moment I installed my ATS turbo on my truck. This (so far) has been the best.

Ryan

SKimballC

Reaction score
If the new one don't work out take one to your local muffler shop and have them bump out the flare a bit until it just fits in , It may take a few trips but:puke: an exhaust leak.

Hey, didn't you pick up a factory turbo a few weeks back? If you have it, how tight do those 2 pipes fit together?
And Ryan, where'd you score that goop?
Lord, I got slop in my pipes.-cuss
I feel like Ted Danson with Whoopie Goldberg.:eek:

SKimballC

Reaction score
Ah, Ryan-san, thank you very much sir. I ordered me up a tube of that stuff for experimental purposes. By the time I finally find a permanent cure for this exhaust leak I'll have enough leftovers to build a fireproof fort.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any feedback on how tight those pipes should be when slid together?

Well, when I tried to get mine ('93) apart, I couldn't get it to split for anything. I finally had to loop a shop crane with a chain looped around the turbo lifting up, and rigged up a 20lb slaphammer on a slide bolted to the "y" fitting on the bottom and about 20 slams later, the thing finally "blew" apart. I can't slide the 2 pieces back together at all. I'll have to do some filing or grinding to get them to fit back together or some heat or something. The fit is VERY tight...

Zigg :)

SKimballC

Reaction score
Well, when I tried to get mine ('93) apart, I couldn't get it to split for anything. I finally had to loop a shop crane with a chain looped around the turbo lifting up, and rigged up a 20lb slaphammer on a slide bolted to the "y" fitting on the bottom and about 20 slams later, the thing finally "blew" apart. I can't slide the 2 pieces back together at all. I'll have to do some filing or grinding to get them to fit back together or some heat or something. The fit is VERY tight...

Zigg :)

THAT is good stuff. Just the info I am seeking... thanks Zigg!;Sweet

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Hey, didn't you pick up a factory turbo a few weeks back? If you have it, how tight do those 2 pipes fit together?
And Ryan, where'd you score that goop?
Lord, I got slop in my pipes.-cuss
I feel like Ted Danson with Whoopie Goldberg.:eek:

Yup, I'm still waiting for the 2nd of 2 boxes to show up:puke:,I can say on the ATS turbo I do have I'm still soaking in deep creep trying to get the UP to come out of the darn thing the DP slid out after a little persuation but wasn't that bad. Good luck.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I can say on the ATS turbo I do have I'm still soaking in deep creep trying to get the UP to come out of the darn thing the DP slid out after a little persuation but wasn't that bad. Good luck.

I'll return the 'good luck' to you on that up-pipe. Its a bear. If it gives you grief flip the crossover pipe around and bolt it back on and KICK.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I pulled the junk back off the truck tonight and am more infuriated than ever.:mad: This is ridiculous. I can't see how the y-pipe is gonna seal in the up-pipe at all. After what Zigg said about how tight of a fit his was, and seeing how there's no room for it to go up further because its already hitting the exhaust manifold studs, I am about ready to push it in the river.-cuss However, I need to work so I can make money so I can live, so instead I am going to have to pull the whole freaking turbo tomorrow so I can figure out what the hell is wrong here- but in a much more pleasant position than laying on the hard concrete. Maybe with it on the bench and a nice cold beer and some music playing I will not be tempted to smash it with the nearest blunt object. I think that I am going to have to assemble those two pipes out of the truck and figure out how the turbo can bolt onto the up-pipe from the engine bay. Not gonna be fun.:puke:
Been a long week, done venting.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shane-

Mine is super loose too, even though it's the old non wastegated style. It's like throwing a hotdog down a hallway, it's so loose. ( I knew chicks like that in college...) :rotflmao

Some of that stove pipe stuff might be the ticket for yours...it sure has been working well on mine. I do have a leaky injector issue...but that's another rant.

Good Luck-
Ryan

SKimballC

Reaction score
Shane-

Mine is super loose too, even though it's the old non wastegated style. It's like throwing a hotdog down a hallway, it's so loose. ( I knew chicks like that in college...) :rotflmao

Some of that stove pipe stuff might be the ticket for yours...it sure has been working well on mine. I do have a leaky injector issue...but that's another rant.

Good Luck-
Ryan

Really? Damn, both my old non wastegated style turbos were really super tight. Since I also used the hot dog down a hallway metaphor when asking RLDSL for his spare y-pipe earlier this week, we'll refrain from any further ****** metaphors:angel: involving innocent virgins or the other sort of girls from my youth.:rotflmao

You know, this week's been so busy that I forgot I ordered some of that stove pipe stuff. Dang, the exhaust is already off and the goop ain't yet here. I have another tube of that Permatex crap so if the removal and hammering together don't fix it then I can get by til then.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Well, sort of.
I pulled the turbo and all last weekend and poked around and tried it again. The end of the y-pipe Robert sent me was, of course, identical to the one I had. I had a feeling that the Permatex stuff wasn't curing properly since I was applying so much of it, so I left the crossover pipe off overnight so it could be more exposed to fresh air. Its sealing much better but there is soot around the union already.-cuss Which means its blowing through the cured sealant. Crap. I can't hear the leak now but I know its still leaking. I got some of that stovepipe cement you (Ryan) used but have not had the energy to try it yet. My boost is maxing out at 5 pounds- wastegate maxed already. That's getting on it hard, empty, at about 2200 rpm's. My truck with the Gear Vendor never sees rpm's higher than that. After having those nonwastegated turbos that made less boost than this one, I don't really know what to expect from this turbo, but since I know it's still leaking exhaust gasses I expect more boost than this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle