Fabbing up a new fuel filter & mount

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
What would you recommend Mel? The 87 has a fuel heater, on the line coming off the fuel pump. When we did the electric pump conversion, we bypassed that heater. Are there any recommendations there?

well i know im not mel but ive been trying to figure that out my self since im running 100 wmo in the rear tank and some times i forget to switch tanks and it takes me a bit to get it started since my block heater is not working i dont plug it in also i have the carrier electric fuel pump
so ive been working on a glow plug fuel heater thats going to mount either on my fuel filter or on the pump it self as in the fuel feed line
im going to use a mercedies glow plug a 3/8pipe run t
ok guys if i mount this before the factory filter how much heat will i lose going through the filter what could i use to insulate the fuel filter

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do a test on the glow plug idea. Put it in some fuel and fire up the plug and see what happens. My fear is it will get too hot and boil the fuel if not outright ignite it. :eek: The temp of the fuel doesn't have to be that high. The idea is just to keep -20 degree fuel from trying to pass through a filter. +30 degree fuel will probably be just fine. If you can heat it to 50 degrees, I'd think it wouldn't cool off enough downstream to be an issue. Gary, I'd suspect you'd either want to use a 7.3 filter head that has the heater built in, or find an aftermarket inline fuel heater instead.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I would do a test on the glow plug idea. Put it in some fuel and fire up the plug and see what happens. My fear is it will get too hot and boil the fuel if not outright ignite it. :eek: The temp of the fuel doesn't have to be that high. The idea is just to keep -20 degree fuel from trying to pass through a filter. +30 degree fuel will probably be just fine. If you can heat it to 50 degrees, I'd think it wouldn't cool off enough downstream to be an issue. Gary, I'd suspect you'd either want to use a 7.3 filter head that has the heater built in, or find an aftermarket inline fuel heater instead.

you have a good point

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that said, does anyone know when the stock filter head heaters are working? As in, do they work with the cold advance, or are on all the time the engine is running, or something else?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Here are the pictures I promised, of my second fuel filter. It's the 6.9 head and a NAPA 3403 filter. I like this filter, because it is almost twice as long as the stock size filter.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The heater hose will be rerouted, when I do my coolant filter mod. I used 3/8" air hose, to make a chaffing block for the A/C line. In retrospect, I should have just made the filter and mount a bit lower. The clamps on the battery terminal, are because I drained the batteries trying to start it. I was getting ready to take it for a test drive, after the carrier bearing/U-joint repair.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect the factory heater works all the time. I'm not aware of any thermostat for it. The bigger issue, is knowing when it is NOT working. I'd think it a good idea to ohm it out periodically.

zpd307

Reaction score
i suck at ohms. does a 0 ohm reading mean working or not working. and what would be acceptable ohm readings for the heater or anything else.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0 ohms is a short, if the meter reads just "1" (and not 1.00 or 0.01) that's an open circuit. Bring your ohm-meter to its lowest range and measure up again, if you get "1" click a range up and measure again, you should eventually see a decimal number different than "0" or "1" in one or more of the ranges. If you always get 0 ohms then your heater probably shorted out internally.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You could take one of these 12 v pad heaters and wire it up with a relay and with the kit it comes with glue it into a large band clamp ( available from Lowes etc for about $3 ) and you have a nice external removable electric filter heater. I made one a few years ago for one of my diesel cars, works great Looks just like the one they sell for $100, HERE SO BASICALLY they get $42 for a $3 band clamp and labour to drill a hole in it.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
You could take one of these 12 v pad heaters and wire it up with a relay and with the kit it comes with glue it into a large band clamp ( available from Lowes etc for about $3 ) and you have a nice external removable electric filter heater. I made one a few years ago for one of my diesel cars, works great Looks just like the one they sell for $100, HERE SO BASICALLY they get $42 for a $3 band clamp and labour to drill a hole in it.

i think im going to try a 110v heating pad from wal-mart and tape it to my rear tank
sounds redneck but it might work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist