Fabbing up a new fuel filter & mount

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Since I now get to work in our locomotive shop a couple times a week, I'm taking the opportunity to make-up a second fuel filter mount for my 7.3. I got a filter head out of a junkyard early 6.9 and plan to use the less expensive 6.9 spin-on filters in my 7.3.

I'm leaving the factory filter head in the truck and mounting this one somewhere else (Yet to be determined) I have no idea what year the 6.9 was, but it's mount was aluminum. It had been broken off at the base, but it will still work just fine. I cut about 5 inches off the original mount, to make it only about two inches tall. I also took a scrap piece of 2 inch steel and made a mount for the head itself. It is nice to have access to grinders, a chop saw and a drill press! I drilled two holes in the filter head and two more in the steel. Since where I drilled the holes in the filter head was rounded, I drilled the holes in the steel slightly larger apart. I didn't want to break the aluminum, when I tightened the bolts.

I need to find a place to mount this thing. I've been considering putting it near the electric fuel pump, which is just ahead of the FSV. I haven't decided yet. I still have to get the ball joints, u-joints, door handle cable and driver's side window fixed first!

Attachments

• filterhead.jpg
    filterhead.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 22

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My biggest reason for wanting this extra filter, is because I just paid $36 for a 7.3 fuel filter at NAPA. It is the one with it's own drain and port for the WIF sensor. Even so, the factory-type fuel filters are at least $25.

A 6.9 filter is only $11 and filters down to 6 micron. I think the stock 7.3 only goes down to 11 micron.

I's much rather replace a $11 filter, than a $25 filter. The 7.3 filter should take care of any water.

On another note... The 6.9 filter that I'll be using, is a NAPA #3403 and is almost twice the size as the stock 6.9 filter. As long as my fuel pump can move the fuel through both filters, everything should be fine.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
My biggest reason for wanting this extra filter, is because I just paid $36 for a 7.3 fuel filter at NAPA. It is the one with it's own drain and port for the WIF sensor. Even so, the factory-type fuel filters are at least $25.

yeah tell me about it, when i first bought my truck the same filter was $22 and now its in the thirties for me too!!!!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dual filter setup:

You must be registered for see images attach

Both are 7.3 filters with water separators, the first filter is a FRAM and the second is a WIX, so given the reputations of both of these brands even tho they're both 12-micron it's very likely that the FRAM lets particles pass that the WIX will stop. Ideally I want the second filter head to be a 6.9 with the respective filter on it, this way the system is stepped down from 12 to 6 microns and will take a whole lot longer to clog up, but oh well...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the question is did I take pieces of the harness when I pulled the filter head, then the answer is yes, I did cut some harness, and I spliced it in the one in my truck, so now both filter heads have heaters in them.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
this is the picture i was refering to, you may have answered my question but i thought this was the heater? and if it is then how did you hook wires to it, or are these old pictures??

zpd307

Reaction score
isnt that the schrader valve, to check for pressure and flow. isnt the fuel heater on top almost in the middle of the base. you can see the single wire going to it in the second photo.

oops, when i checked the photos again, to make sure, i see the schrader valve to the left of the circled part. so what iss that part.

suv7734

Reaction score
The heater is the connection on top of the filter head. The connection you circled is the switch for the fuel filter light on the dash that comes on when the filter is plugged.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, just remember the factory 6.9 filter head was intended to be fed with the factory in-line fuel heater. You might get caught off guard when it gets really cold out. ;Really

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heater is the connection on top of the filter head. The connection you circled is the switch for the fuel filter light on the dash that comes on when the filter is plugged.

What he said - that one I haven't plugged in just yet, as the harness I cut off wasn't long enough to reach the stock one do be spliced in, but I'll get around to it eventually. Or, I may just do without it, as if the front filter gets plugged up the vacuum created by the IP will be felt by the rear filter as well, and its switch will trigger the light - if I do that then I get a perfect location for a fuel pressure gauge, as it will screw right in place of that sensor, no extension necessary either.

Oh, those heater plugs are actually leaking a bit of fuel past the o-rings, but I ain't got no return lines hooked up to the filters so drainback ain't no issue :D

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Gary, just remember the factory 6.9 filter head was intended to be fed with the factory in-line fuel heater. You might get caught off guard when it gets really cold out. ;Really

What would you recommend Mel? The 87 has a fuel heater, on the line coming off the fuel pump. When we did the electric pump conversion, we bypassed that heater. Are there any recommendations there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online