F700 cab

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Long time since last visit. I know it’s not about IDI engine, but this truck fits to IDI era. So i bought a F700 1993, I was a bit lucky to find one of these from here, since I’ve never seen one other than pictures. Mechanically it’s in good condition with air brakes (now feels like my F250 didn’t have brakes at all :eek: ), but there’s some corrosion on the cab and someone have probably been hanging on the mirrors and as a result the doors are bent from window rails. This is not going to be only work truck, so I’d like to fix the problems on the cab.
So my question is about the cab. I noticed even though it’s 1993 f700 the interior looks like it’s from 1980-1986 f-series. So if I’m looking for cab parts, will the parts fit only from that era trucks or does for example the doors fit until 1997? My F250 is also 1993 and to doors looks like they would fit, but is there some minor differences? Haven’t disassembled it too much to see all the corrosion and If there is too much that I’d like to fix and decide to do a cab swap, will a crew cab from 1980-1986 F350 crew cab work, or is there much differences?
Thanks in advance!

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Without doing any research, if they look the same, they probably are. The parts bin for commercial vehicles is often a hodge podge of stuff from much earlier vintage to keep a supply train open. In other words, big commercial vehicles rarely got new technology or fashion trim, they got what was available for cheap.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you mentioned 80-86 because of the dash, but when you get down to it, the sheetmetal part of the cab is very similiar and should work up through 96 f150 or 98 for a f250/350. You may have to do a few mods to put your older dash in a newer cab if it comes down to that, but the later sheetmetal is probably going to be easier to find inbetter condition.

And then you have A/C cabs and non A/C cabs. A/C is the same except with a lot more holes in the firewall, so take that into consideration when looking.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Those are good looking trucks, you are lucky to have found it way up there. You are thinking about swapping that cab onto your F250? The track might be wider and even at 35", your tires might look odd. I think F700 have 20" or 20.5" wheels. Good luck!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
From all that I've seen, the interior of the trucks with that doghouse, use the 80-86 instrument cluster and doors. They stayed the same until the body style change in the late 90's (which is when they changed the doors to look like the SuperDuty doors with the dip down at the firewall side to be able see the mirrors better, and removed the window vents).

One thing, I believe the cab is actually wider than a pickup cab. I may be wrong, but the area from the radio "bump-out" to the passenger door seems wider than a pickup. I would throw a tape measure across the a pillars and see if they are the same distance apart.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing, I believe the cab is actually wider than a pickup cab. I may be wrong, but the area from the radio "bump-out" to the passenger door seems wider than a pickup. I would throw a tape measure across the a pillars and see if they are the same distance apart.

Believe it or not, these are regular sized pickup cabs on these big trucks. GM did the same thing. I don't know about the firewall/airbrake thing, but I was helping a guy fix up a 1975 f750 and the cab was the same as the late 70's pickups, all the restoration parts and pieces from the pickup restoration places fit that big truck cab.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doors are the same as a reg cab. So is the front windshield.
HOWEVER.......nothing else is. there is a filler panel added to the cab lower rear to handle the straight frame. As mentioned earlier, the firewall is different as well as the cowl surround area. I have one I babysit.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80-86 doors are different than 87-97 doors. They will fit on, but the interior trim holes are different. I have an 80-86 door on my 89 and it didn't have the right holes for the door interior panel. Looking at the filler strip between the vent window and side glass I would say it has the 87 and newer side glass.

Any pics of the door panels?

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies ;Sweet ... Yes I got a bit lucky with this one and also what I paid for it. If I had imported this myself and if I’ll add the shipping in US (some dollars) and overseas (grazy amount of dollars), customs etc. the truck itself would have had to cost much less than $2000 to get it as low as what I paid for. And what I have looked for there’s nothing for sale for that price in the US. And this way I was able to test drive it before purchasing it.
About the cab, so i thought there might be differences. Today I took the interior carpeting and seats away to see the how bad it is rusted and found out that it isn’t too bad. By looking at the cab floor and as you can see from the pictures it doesn’t look like regular crew cab. Well I haven’t seen any naked floor from crew cabs before, but I think the normal crew cab floor isn’t welded like this one is?!? Although floor changes looks like they’re made in the factory. So there must be some changes. Cab mounts aren’t in the same position than in my F250. But all and all I think that I won’t be trying to locate the whole cab, I’ll just weld some new sheet metal near the rocker panels. Floor looked much worse before i removed the carpet. Now i just have to hope the roof rails are still fixable, since I noticed that there is some corrosion as well and the whole roof has some dents on in, but those dents aren't bad to fix. I guess being a dump truck it is usual to have some dents on the roof.
So now I need to find some good 1980-1986 donor for the doors. Rear doors are quite good, but front doors are bent as I wrote in the first message. Probably going to find some better seats also, I'm thinking about later model crew cab seats. Any recommendations which year has the best seats for longer travels?

But in my eyes it's a beautiful and very solid truck start work with. Have to say i was very much pleasantly surprised about how good this thing is to drive. No matter how much wind was blowing from side, heavy rain and the truck just kept going straight without any need of steering. 5.9 Cummins with AT545 isn't the fastest combination that i've driven, but in here it really doesn't even matter as long as it can keep up with the hills, which aren't too big anyways. Here we have to have speed limiter to 55 mph on trucks this size, so it doesn't matter how fast it could go anyway...

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has that 5.9 litre inline six Cummins with Allison AT545 transmission. I believe Ford's code for that engine is FD1060.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking truck! I am going to be starting a crew cab conversion to mine. As stated the firewall and rear cab mounts are different than a pickup. Mine is a couple years newer and has the more rounded front hood. I wish I had air brakes though, it has the hydro unit now but I might swap out for something different IF I can locate the parts I want. Do you know what the weight is without a bed? Mine is 8820# right now but I have about 12 feet of frame to remove.

Attachments

• 0527161635 (1).jpg
    0527161635 (1).jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 34

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys :D ... Great truck Ironman03R ;Sweet ... If it was for me i would be driving these trucks as a daily driver, but why those parking lots are so small here :dunno , i can't even drive my F250 daily, because of the same reason :backoff ....
I actually don't know the weight, i should have it scaled to see what it is. People who shipped the truck from US put a weight of 7700 pounds on the papers, but i really doubt it's the real number, since back then it had a bed on it and even that alone weights a lot. Plus they inform the weight wrong all the time, probably they get the freight down that way :dunno . Those air brakes seems to be very powerful, i don't know if i had bought it at all if it had the hydraulic unit. BUT the reason for it is because i live a bit far from parts if it needed one. I've read that parts are difficult to find for that hydro system and imagine if you live 5000 miles from their original source and that's airways :eek: . There's a lot of air brake semi trucks here, so if i have some brake line or component issue i might be able to locate one from here. I bet the brake system is similar to Ford Cargo, which was sold here back then. I've noticed that it is a lot harder to find parts for these even compared to my F250, which is quite easy for most parts because of Rockauto, LMC etc. which really doesn't know F700 apart from few parts...
Today i got a look at the cab a little bit better. I can probably safe the roof rails, which is good thing, but i need to replace the whole side from both sides near the rocker panel. That doesn't look that bad job at the moment. But still i think spring will coming before this is legally driven on our roads. There's a lot to do before i can take it to import inspection. Fix those rust spots, install speed limiter and some kind of tachograph etc... But it'll get done sooner or later... i might paint the truck to white also, but don't know yet...

Last edited: