f-450 flywheel zf-5

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
My DMF has had it and and I dont really want to do the lucky mod for my DD and for hauling the horses around.

There is a junkyard that will deliver me a f-450 flywheel for 125 the truck had a zf-5

i thought these were a SMF but i just wanted to make sure, im going to see if they can work on price or something but just wanted to see if it would even work.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the F-450 uses the same DMF as the "smaller" trucks. It should work just fine, assuming it's in good shape...although I personally would be wary to trust a used DMF unless you know its history.

Just my $.02...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
f450's used a DMF just like anyother truck.
if a SMF was found in one, someone converted it.
the f450 flywheel will bolt up and work.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
oh ok thanks for the info.

i dont remember where i read it online but i thought the 450s had a different set up. oh well.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last 450 I had apart had a DMF and a sprung clutch disc, which I found to be kind of odd... But, the 450 flywheel will work just fine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The DMF in your truck is most likely set up for an 11"clutch and the one in that 450 could be set up for a 12 or 12 1/4" clutch . Just make sure to measure the bolt holes before you start ordering the new clutch

Just wondering, why on earth do you want to put another used DMF in the thing if you are towing horses around? I can understand if you never towed anything, but if you are going to be towing, throwing another used DMF in is a real crapshoot. If it's the dampening that you want, call Ft wayne clutch and get a solid, 12 1/4 flywheel and then order one of their rebuilt kevlar clutch kits to go with it and you will get more center dampening springs with that clutch disc than there is in the DMF. It makes for a very smooth engagement and no more worries about your flywheel grenading on you just when you get a good stout load on the thing ;Sweet

sootman73

Reaction score
hes not putting a DMF in. he thought that the 450s had SMF which is what he's looking for. read post #3

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My DMF from my F450 ZF5 was smoked when I pulled it to put it in the F250 project I'm working on and driving now. I was low on bucks so I used a SMF 6.9 flywheel, T19 pressure plate and a spring dampened zf disc, throw out and pilot bearing. It's working great with no appreciable vibration issues. There were some concerns before I tried it because of some early Ford TSB's warning of balance concerns but in my opinion they proved to be much to do about nothing. I got the flywheel from the U-Pull it for $25.00 and as luck would have it the truck also had a new clutch so I got the pressure plate for another 25. The disc is a new VALEO from a SACHS kit as is the throw out and pilot bearings.