F-350 with Transfer Case driven PTO Setup

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know on the newer, PSD's, the AIC for the 7.3 and the "High Idle Mod" (feature is built into the PCM) on the 6.0, when activated the engine RPM's are raised to ~1250 RPM. This is used in fire service to keep all the electronics running and the batteries charged. In other service, it is used for PTO service.

I do believe it is very common for PTO applications that you are not able to power the wheels when the PTO is in operation. I know on the fire trucks this is the case. I think this is one reason that our grass truck (96 F-350 RC 4x4) there is a separate, gas powered, pump for fire fighting operation. With this truck, you need to be mobile and be able to fight a grass fire.......
Yes I was thinking up to 1500 RPMs, so close enough.

AS for the PTO, technically you can power the wheels and operate the PTO at the same time. But the problem is you adjust your gearing for PTO use, and the wheel speed ends up where it ends up. Sometimes that works, often time it doesn't - like that brush truck you mentioned, if they were to drive the pump off a drivetrain-mounted PTO they'd be stuck with one or two vehicle speeds they can drive it at, and obviously the PTO stops when the truck stops moving - definitely not a good setup for a fire truck.

Whereass a shaft driven winch from transmission does work in forward I honestly do not know if the trans in reverse spins pto backwards but I Dont think it does.

If connected to tcase and shaft driven then PTO would be forward or reverse as mandated by transmission output. If you gear up and tcase in neutral then winch speeds up as I recall.
Depends on the PTO. I've run one with the trans in reverse, but that PTO was just a mechanical gear box with a shaft output so it didn't care which way it turns. Application was exactly a shaft-driven winch, that shaft had like 6 u-joints to get over the axle and past the engine and into the front bumper. Factory Toyota stuff btw, actually worked pretty good. Winch was a worm-drive setup, no built in reverse gear that I can remember - so you spin the PTO backwards (trans in reverse) to power-out the cable, then when you wanna reel it in you go IIRC first gear. Wheels could still be engaged if needed, tho while unpsooling the cable that would be somewhat pointless...

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
All the trans mounted PTO's I have seen are driven off of input so you can't put it into reverse and spin it backward, it only spins one way. Yes they will still work while driving but you will overspeed the PTO unless you are going very slow. If you want to know optimal rpm look up the manufactures site, you will need model number of PTO they will have a rpm chart also you will have to look up pump to see what that manufacture wants for input speeds. http://www.parker.com/literature/Ch...HY25-0176-B1_US_Final 249 Series_01.04.13.pdf
Here is an example notice the 1200 rpm speed.
Now there are PTO's that can be engaged while driving, I believe these are constant mesh type, but I think these are for larger transmissions and not applicable to our light duty trucks, we had them on some line trucks at the local electric company, I have never seen one on a pickup.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Yota PTO was off the T-case I think, or some adapter between the trans and t-case, it's been years now and I didn't play with that truck long enough to remember everything 100%. It was not a US-market truck to begin with, so who knows how exactly it was all done... Or maybe the PTO had a reverser built into itself, and I was using that to drive the winch backwards to unspool the cable? Well now I'm really confused and all, but regardless, I heard that truck might be in need of some work in the near future, so if I ever get to meet it again I'll make sure to take proper notice of how it's all set up.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is super cool!!! I have used APCMs on my old 7.3s for several years but never had a "real" PTO to accompany them.
This looks like a cool setup!

MonsterJeep

Reaction score
Great post and discussion on an awesome topic.
My two cents about pto drives.
This info should be viewed from the aspect of a xfer case mounted pto output. My Allison 454 has a pto option...but I don’t know if it’s before or after the final output...of course if ahead of it you’re golden with either a mechanical or hydro pto.
The first thing is the output component sending power to the shaft is a worm gear drive just like the drive input of the winch. It can go in either direction.
However you obviously can’t take cable up if the drum is reversed...UNLESS you are aware enough to unspool all of your cable...of course at this point you must be wanting to go backwards out the way you came in. Clearly if you are trying this and don’t want to unspool and rewind the cable you will have to only winch yourself with xfer in neutral.
This raises some inherent issues...like where do you run the cable.
Well, maybe I’m the only old schooler here...but it was common for those guys who wanted that feature to install a couple of cable rollers onto the bottom of the frame for the cable to exit out under the rear bumper.