Extra Rattle

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
We have a early 80's Grumman "bread truck/milk van" as our command truck for our Search and Rescue group. It has the 6.2l GM diesel in it. All in all I think to does OK, but no one wants to drive the stinky diesle but me (they all love the new F550 V10 gasser:puke: )

Anyway, I have noticed over the last month or so there is a new "rattle" coming from the front of the motor. Sounds the worse when it is in a low idle when warm, then when it is rev'ed up even a little bit. Sounds like an extra diesel knock, or something a little loose rattleing against something. I have gone over everything I can... it sounds louder at the front of the motor then the rear of it.

Thoughts on what it could be?

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I don't remember how many km's on it... although I think it has been around the block more then once. No surging issues, it idles solid and drives with constent power. A good part of it's time, when it is on a call, is spent with the foot on the floor.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Crack the injector lines to see if it is cylinder specific. Could be as simple as a sticky injector. Also make sure that the cold timing advance is coming off once the engine is warmed up.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
The cold idle is coming off, is there something else for the timing advance?

I will see what kind of time I can get with it tomorrow evening to crack a few lines and see if there is an injector sticking.

Timing chain eh? That does not sound good.... that is why I like the gears in my truck. Any easy way to confirm that?

I wonder if I could talk them into replacing it with a 6.5 turbo :)