Exterior Lights

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty quick question. When you guys run a lot of chicken lights, how exactly do you go about keeping all that extra wiring clean? I have the cab lights and a few LED strips on my rocker panels all wired to the fuse for my running/head lights, and its just a mess up by the fuse. There has to be a better way of doing this. I see trucks with HELLA chicken lights, whats your procedure on running clean wiring? Maybe a terminal block connected to the running light switch that i can run all my accessory running lights to? sorry, i dont really like wiring and ive never been great at it so any help will be fine!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and put in a relay. That circuit is undersized as it is. Check out the tech section and look under the headlight relay mod. I think there is an article there. LMC has a plug and play kit if you want to go that route. If you do your own, pull power from somewhere, put a fuse in and use that to feed a bank of relays. Move the wires from under the dash to under the hood.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Been fighting this problem for a while, with all my warning strobes and extra running lights my wiring looks a bit like a rat's nest, been working from the back to the front putting it in loom and tying it to the factory harness. As for the under dash area haven't gotten to that yet... Might work on that a little today

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had a 6 circuit marine fuse block.
i was looking for a way to make it switched with the ignition,
but with everything thats going on there, i decided to go aginst it.
i hard wired it to the battery. with a toggle.
this is to run my stereo equipment.
i have cab running lights, so 50 million light bars, side markers and fog lights will look a bit too much on my rig.
but its a clean way to run accessories

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a relay with a fat wire to the battery direct, and can i run the "exciter" wire off of the headlight switch?

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and off topic, I saw your 6 door going viral on Facebook haha, that thing looks bad ass.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a relay with a fat wire to the battery direct, and can i run the "exciter" wire off of the headlight switch?

Pretty much. Make sure you put a fuse in the line from the battery somewhere. I'm paranoid so I like fuses on both sides of the relay but it's not really necessary. If you are doing a fuse block, a fusible link on the battery side (or one of those big fuses) and then fuses to the individual circuits will cover you.

My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle