Exhaust size

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Alright guys.....I'm a 1/2 ton Ford nut so this is my first 3/4 ton let alone diesel.....what size pipe should i use, i wanna run a single stack......?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3" pipe to a 4" stack will be just right. Good mix of functionality and looks, in my opinion.

Ryan

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
welli can readily get 3 1/2 inch pipe..which if anything I'd be going from where the two come into one then 90 up and hit it with a stack...a buddy of mine is a diesel mechanic for a trucking company and is gonna get 5 inch pipe for me......would that do me just fine or would it make the truck sluggish?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't matter on a diesel. You can't really have too big a pipe, especially if you're turbocharged. It'll be LOUD without a turbo tho...

Ryan

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
General rule of thumb for exhaust on these trucks is anything over 3.5" will not produce any return on the investment. If your getting 5" pipe for free, more power to you. However if your buying it, you can easily double the cost of your project going from 3" to 6", to the tune of usually around $600 to $700 for a home made 6" system. A 6" T alone, will set you back $150 or more.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General rule of thumb for exhaust on these trucks is anything over 3.5" will not produce any return on the investment. ..
have heard this numerous times. We just dont move that much air... and think of this... we only churn out 3k rpm at full throttle.

sassyrel

Reaction score
and the large pipe from ats is 3 inch mandrel bend--why go bigger???? gasses shrink away from the turbo as their cooler----

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have heard this numerous times. We just dont move that much air... and think of this... we only churn out 3k rpm at full throttle.

I wouldn't say that exactly. When you look at gassers, its understood that 3 inch exhaust piping is good for up to 800 HP. But for most diesels 3inch is like the bare minimum.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
since DIY exhaust is the subject of the day has anyone ever considered headers for diesels NA or turboed or is there no advantage to the streamlined flow pattern like there is for a gasser via scavenging

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
will these work with a turboed 7.3 IDI and is there an advantage to them like there would be for a gasser

Anything is possible. You would have to fabricate a crossover pipe, Y pipe to join them and an up pipe, all of which would be a major chore and you'd need access to a very large tubing bender which very few exhaust shops have.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear mounted turbos is getting very common on cars now-a-days... It has a built in intercooler effect with the long plumbing.... Do it, less see what cha can do.