Exhaust joint leaks - weld or better clamps?

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the fortune of putting my E350 up on a lift to change the oil recently and notice a few leaks in my exhaust joints (pre-turbo). I didn't have much time to screw with it then, but did loosen a clamp or two and re-tightened them after rotating them slightly. The leaks were reduced but they are not yet non-existent.

Is it better to keep the serviceability of clamps (or perhaps use bands to help with the seal?) and just make sure that the joints are all good, or should I see about taking it to an exhaust shop and getting these joints welded up? One of the joints is awfully close to the tranny, but I think welding would still be possible. I may just start by replacing the clamps with new ones that have a bit of lube on the threads so I can get them to torque down well.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I was in your position not too long ago. I had a leaky up pipe joint that the exhaust shop tried every clamp and sealant known to man to fix. After fiddling with the stupid leak for almost a year, I finally just told them to weld the blasted thing. No more leaks and my manifold pressure is back.

Save yourself the headache and just have it welded, I say! Less time fiddling with clamps and more time on the road. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stainless band-clamps are the way to go.

They will not distort the tubing like plain old U-bolt clamps.

The wide stainless band will conform to the two sections of the joint and seal things up nicely.
:)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will add that, if one will clean, de-burr, and coat exhaust joints generously with anti-sieze, prior to assembly, and ALWAYS use stainless band-clamps, future dis-assembly is almost easy.

No so easy after the tubing has been squished out of shape by U-bolt type clamps.
:)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I second the band clamps. If installed properly, you will get a nice tight leak free joint, and unlike ubolts, you can disassemble the joint without without a lot of fuss. I prefer the pre formed ones personally. The flat ones can pinch a bit too tight sometimes

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throw the clamps in the trash. I have never seen one that doesnt leak. I would use flanges with gaskets before I would screw with a clamp. Weld everything you can, and use flanged where you need to service the exhaust.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll get some pricing to have some of the joints welded and then crawl underneath this weekend and see if I can't make a game plan.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did I even question what to do?! I stopped in at a nice local exhaust shop last week and while they said they were booked in the morning they could check it out if I came back later in the afternoon. Being the week before Christmas work was slow and I had the time to check back in without a problem. After putting it up on the rack, they asked if I wanted the work done or if I was just looking for a quote... long story short, they welded up up four joints for me for $20. I could have spent that much in clamps along with a few hours of my time and probably still have leaks! If I ever have to service anything I'll just make a cut and have it welded back up later (these folks certainly have my business) - nothing I anticipate anytime soon.

I haven't had much time to run the rig since this has been done, but it certainly feels like the turbo is spooling better (these were all up pipe fixes). Good stuff!