exhaust housing removal

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i finally got the bolts loose, and now i can't quite get the exhaust housing off!
any tips? should i just let it soak over night, and try agian in the morning? or do i need to use more force haha? i am being pretty gental
thanx

zpd307

Reaction score
first off, light is your friend, when making vids. you are in a dark garage and have a bright light from the outside behind you. go outside and film your vid, it will turn out better. i was going to say in regards to your first vid, there is a really close tolerance between the house and the cartridge. it will bind a lot if you pry one end up more than the other. it is better to pry a little and then move to the other side. keep bouncing back and forth until it finally comes out. there is also a close tolerence between the exhaust wheel and the housing, so you have to be careful with that too. why it is able to spin and doesnt want to come out, i dont know.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the turbine heat shield is still stuck in the housing. The cartridge will spin but you can't pull it out. Can you push on the trubine wheel from the backside of the turbo? That can push the heat shield out but you have to be very careful not to damage the turbine wheel or shaft. In other words be extremely cautious when doing that.

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just doesn't seem to want to budge, sob! haha well ill let it soak over nite and maybe 2morrow then try agian, unless im missing something that i don't know about or notice?
thanx for the info and ill keep you guys posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle