Every glow plug dead?

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This can't be right. I'm having cold start issues with my truck. I run the test light clip on 12v+ but the light didn't come on with any gp.

This is reman 7.3 engine but does not have 7.3 gpr/gpc. My glow plugs have a spade terminal. I hold a momentary button to heat the plugs.

Should I pull these and test with a multi meter? Something else?

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no. 1 is dead couldn't pull no. 2 and have not done the rest. I'm assuming the worst. Ducking Autolites?! ***!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before you panic, double check the connector between the body and motor. often the bullet terminal corrodes with age and melts down.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled 1, 5, 7, and 8. All had no resistance. I couldn't/wouldn't pull 2 and 6 and can't reach 3 and 4 under the injection lines.

This is probably my fault, let me know if I fried them.

Saturday;
It wouldn't start so I shot a pssssst worth of starting fluid in the air cleaner. It cranked and reved high for a split second.

Sunday;
Not ever wanting to use starting fluid again I cycled the plugs. I did 5 to 7 sets of 15 counts, turn the key for a 10 count rest for 5-10 count.

It started.

I am guessing I must have done this. But it did start up so I don't know. I could smell burnt fuel a couple times when I used the above procedure.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****, I didn't do the test right. Trying again.

Well one is good, lol. Yeah they are toast.

New problem 6 just keeps spinning and won't come back out.... I'll replace what I can and hope for the best for now.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with using ether. if it revved high, use less the next morning.
i give mime a "sniff" at the beginning of the day and it's all good from there.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay well that's good news then. I was concerned.

Motorcraft part number ZD1A for 6.9l correct?

I'm starting a thread about this truck. I have a 7.3 with a 6.9 ip, plugs and relay it looks like. Plus it looks like my axle is leaking from the left rear hub. Lots of gear oil.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is reman 7.3 engine but does not have 7.3 gpr/gpc. My glow plugs have a spade terminal. I hold a momentary button to heat the plugs.

Put your engine in your signature and check mark (Show your signature) so it stays with each post, not only once at start of thread.

I'm starting a thread about this truck. I have a 7.3 with a 6.9 ip, plugs and relay it looks like. Plus it looks like my axle is leaking from the left rear hub. Lots of gear oil.
Don't start another thread unless it's about a different problem.
Check the serial number stamped on the drivers side pad next to the IP, if it starts with a 7.3 then it's a 7.3, if it starts with a 6.9 then it's a 6.9 engine.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look for the ID when I get home tonight. $16 each from the local Ford dealer has me looking converting over to the 7.3 gpc/gpr

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ZD1 GP was used in the 6.9L in 83 to 86 IIRC, they had the screw in (1/2"NPT Thread) GP controller that screwed into the pass side head, ZD1 has the spade connector. ZD9 GP is used from 87 on up in the 7.3L up to 99. ZD9 has the pin connector. The GP controller is a modular electronic unit, it can be used for the 6.9L also, but wiring changes have to be made. ZD9 can also be used in any 6.9L, connector has to be changed from spade to pin.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a donor and can get the parts for $20 just don't know if there is any point really. I read that it's an upgrade but haven't uncovered why it's an upgrade.

I can get zd1a and zd9 for the same price locally, found them for ea.

I searched for a write up but didn't find one. Does anybody have a link?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online