Ether

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
We have an old allis chalmers tractor that gets a whiff every time you start her up in less than 70 deg weather. As said before, we dont go crazy with it. hold the can back about 6-8 in from the intake and puch the button for as short a period as you can. walk up to the key and hit it, tractor will fire every time. We havent had glow plugs on that tractor in the 10 years that we have had it.

needboost2live

Reaction score
I've just moved to irwin, pa near pittsburgh and the temps have been slightly chilly. I'm not living in my house yet due to no electric water or furnace and have been staying in my 32' travel trailer. I only have a generator and have been having to plug my truck in and its been okay untill today. I need to find my bad glow plugs and replace so the glow plug relay doesn't cycle before everything is heated. (I also have fuel problems i need to work on injectors, return line kit, etc) I have used ether twice. Once at the mountains last weekend and once today. I DID not like the sound it made when starting. I cringe every time I have to pick up the starting fluid. In fact I am going to buy a beater saturn for 500 bucks because I just started a new job and I don't get screwed by a non starting truck.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
i have a craftsman chipper/shredder with a 8.5 hp b&s motor on it and it is like hand pulling an idi to start it LOL so the only way to save my shoulder is to use ether to start it

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a craftsman chipper/shredder with a 8.5 hp b&s motor on it and it is like hand pulling an idi to start it LOL so the only way to save my shoulder is to use ether to start it

not to tell a feller his business but,carb cleaner would be a better way to go on that.;Sweet

sootman73

Reaction score
i've never used ether on my truck. i have only ever used WD-40 just to help it spin faster. i would rather focus on getting it to spin fast rather than get it to fire right away. if it spins fast it'll start.

now my 6.2 diesel... thats a different story. had to ether it everytime no matter what the temp was outside. if the glow plugs didn't kick on(warm engine) it wasn't gonna start without it. course it was in really bad shape too...

mechanoman

unruly dually
Reaction score
Biggest problem with starting fluid is that some folks seem to think that "if some is good, more is gooder". Not true! In the last 42 years I have seen head gaskets blown, head bolts stretched, and most seriously I saw a guy spray so much starting fluid in the intake that he bent a rod (liquids not being compressable.) A little goes a long way, just a whiff is all that is needed. Another problem is lack of lubricity and the rings really don't like that. I did a service call once for a Detroit Diesel in a yard mule at a shipyard. Seems like they ran it out of fuel and weren't smart enough to refill the filters after adding fuel to the tank. Their solution was to keep spraying starting fluid into the intake until both filter cans were pumped full of fuel. They couldn't understand why the pistons were all scored. Real smart.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online