Engine/trans acting up

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
My parents have a 1994 E350, and I borrowed it last weekend and noticed that it was acting weird. The engine is idling high, and the transmission shifts hard in all gears, including reverse. I think the two may be related, but I am rather unfamiliar with the setup. Oh, it has a 5.8L and an e4od.

Brock

sassyrel

Reaction score
get it checked for codes--the engine may have a issue or two, as the trans may also--

medwards29

Construction Project Manager
Reaction score
check the tranny fluid of course, after that if it is good i would empty the fluid and get the tranny flushed. If still don't fix, then get a rebuild. As for the high idle, check codes, or you can just lower the idel speed. You can do it by removing the throttle body cover and on the gas pedal cable you will see a clamp like thing, that's the idle speed adjuster. You probably just need a srewdriver to adjust it. Adjust it with the motor running to hear the idel speed drop. Check the rpm gauge and make sure it's in the ball park of 900-1000 rpms. If don't work check timing. Remember to look at codes first.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be throttle position sensor also... because the computer is what makes it idle high when its cold...