Engine Oil Cooler

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I'm curious how I'd know if the oil cooler on the engine I'm going through is the old style or the new. It only has two o rings on each end of the tube, the outers being smaller than the inners, and 27 small tubes inside the main tube. I'm thinking newer style? It's from an 86 6.9 in a pickup.

What's the best way to clean everything out, and without a press, what's the best way to get the headers back on the tube? Or just a 2x4 and a BFH :dunno

I'm assuming I install the o rings on the tube, with a little lube to make things slide easier?

Thanks!

Chris

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did mine not too long ago....I've got a 94, and mine sounds just like yours.

Not sure what to do about cleaning it -- there's quite a bit of space if you used water for cleaning to get stuck in the oil passage...

For re-assembly, put the orings on the tube, then squeeze. No BFH, just good STRAIGHT pressure. It doesn't take a lot, but you need it to be straight. I used the bottom of a gooseneck hitch on our camper and sandwiched the cooler between that and a floor jack. Worked like a champ. As long as you are straight, you could probably do the same with a board and your body weight.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pipe clamp used here too. Steady even pressure and its done. The clamp can be bought at Home Depot. Just get one long enough for some 2x4 on the ends. I think Bill Miller on the "other site" has pictures and a write up on this.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input.;Sweet I have to go to Lowes tomorrow anyhow so I'll look for a clamp. I guess I'm going to take it to a machine shop and have it hot tanked after I pull the pipe plugs out, since it's in pieces. I'm going to take all the tin there and a bunch of the bolts anyhow.

Thanks again.

Chris

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The factory manual says to put the outer O rings in the headers to avoid cutting them during assembly. Doesn't sound right to me, but there it is. If you all have had success with putting them all on the bundle, great!

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Yeah I did read that, but I also read, in a long thread on here regarding this, to install them all on the tube, that the factory manual was never updated when they changed from 6 orings to 4. I might have misunderstood that when I read it though.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the o-rings are on the tube, coat them with a little oil. That will help slide the ends into the headers. It's a tight fit, but it will go.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the o-rings are on the tube, coat them with a little oil. That will help slide the ends into the headers. It's a tight fit, but it will go.

I used Plumbers Grease...stuff's slick like Astro Glide ;Sweet :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online