Engine noise after new fuel pump?

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright yall i finally had a day off to mess with my truck. So i changed the manual lift pump. Went flawlessly had it done in about an hour. upon restart it now has a loud ping/pop to it now. I cracked all the injector lines twice and the engine runs great it just has a lound pop to it any ideas. motor is hot so i cant touch the exhaust right now. When i took the air intake off the noise got louder? Just wanted yall opinion im taking a break and drinking some h20. its hot already. if needed ill get a video of it.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exhaust looks good and in working order. The only thing i can think that maybe its the fuel pump hitting the plunger. I didnt put any grease/oil on the end of the arm of the fuel pump before installation. If the pump is pumping that means it installed correctly? i dont know what else it is. thats the only thing i changed since it stopped running.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Is this on the 6.9?
Is it the new style pump?
They need to have the crank in a certain position before installing the pump.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is the 6.9 and i am guess it is the new style pump. because it didnt look anything like the old one and the paper in the box said it was a new desgin but would work the same.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
This is from a post at another Diesel site, I have an electric pump on mine so I only know about this problem from reading other post:

If there is a problem with the lift pump and you are changing it, ensure the new pump comes with instructions as to correct installation procedure if it is the newer model pump with the almost straight arm.
This info pertains to Carter #M60278 pump or new long arm style.

WARNING
This fuel pump must be installed only at the low position of actuator cam.

If the pump is installed at any other position than low cam, the pump will be ruined, the engine will stall and damage may result.

Incorrect installation will loosen the pivot pin and allows the pin and lever to come out of the pump and drop into the oil pan. This can occur immediately or after several hundred miles. This type of failure is not covered by warranty.

To ensure that the cam is at low position, it is necessary to use a mirror and a remote starter switch. Observe the cam through the mounting port and bump the engine around until a one (1) inch wide machine surface is observed. This is low position of the cam. Now complete normal fuel pump installation.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O this is great. The instruction never said anything about low position of the cam. I think i might be going electric. it is a BB chevy block off plate right? Has anyone else had this problem with a new style pump.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep sounds like it's the lift pump since that's the only thing you changed. I did break the arm off one once because I had gotten the arm on the top side of the lobe when installing. I don't remember it making any noise but for some reason I do remember yanking it back off to check it and found that I had broken/folded it over. this was back in '98 when I first got her so that is why I don't remember all the details....

but if you want to do an electric - yes it's BB Chevy plate and then pick the fuel pump of yer choice. all you need is 7-10 psi. A lot of guys are using the Holley Red Pump.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i pulled the pump out and it looked completely fine i even brought it back to orielly's to compare the arm to another pump. Everything was ok so i put some grease on the end and reinstalled no noise now! Started up fine then dies about 15 seconds later. Restarted and now runs like a champ put 60 miles on her without a hitch. Just wanted to give yall a big thanks for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online