Engine hard to be moved by starter

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto on what OLDBULL8, YARIC008, OLDMISTERBILL & ICANFIXALL said. You might try turning it backwards just a bit before you take the GP's out. This could indicate whether the engine is encountering something stopping the crank & pistons, or if its internal friction from binding. What concerns me is that you apparently turned it by hand while attaching the Bell housing (( Quote = ...and I was able to put the six bolts, but after that it was not able to move the flywheel. Not even one turn. .... This I presume was without any coolant in the system. Is there coolant in the system now? No coolant = no hydrolock. Go for the tranny. Is it a T-19? Try breaking the bolts loose again as previous posts suggest.
Unsolicited Advise Time.
1. Stay Calm & Have Patience & Faith and you will Succeed.
2. Know that it is a Mechanical System and has No Will of it's own, just Yours.
3. Think through your actions step by step as to when the change occurred.
4. Go back and re-visit those actions that preceded the change.
5. You will see it will work. We are here with you. Soon you will laugh about it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before burning up any more time on the electrical, bar over the motor with or without the glow plugs installed. be sure the trans is mounted flush against the adapter and it is bolted flush without fighting you.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your starter is bad, then it wouldn't matter if you had 6 batteries it will not turn very quick or at all. Also if you have any belts hooked up, loosen em and try that. Seen a siezed a/c compressor cause this problem too.

Seized ac compressor did this to me last summer. I thought my fuel pump was out. Finally had to bump start it and it burned through the belt in about 60 second.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments and help, it's really good to be part of this brotherhood. That's the way I feel it. I was not able to do anything to the engine today. I was working from dawn to sunset in the field. Tomorrow looks it's going to be also a very busy day but maybe in the afternoon I can remove the GPs and squirt some penetrating oil in each cylinder, then let it work through the night and Friday morning try to move the engine by hand first and if it moves then with the starter to let the oil work the interior of the cylinder and the pistons. Turning it with the starter several times will help also purge the lines of air and if everything goes the way we hope then I will put back the GPs and fire it to see if starts. Thanks again for your support. Burt.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't shoot any liquid into the cylinders, oil or otherwise. You're gonna compound the problem. If the motor was turning before, there is no reason to believe it won't turn again once you get it out of the bind it's in. Do as suggested, pull the glow plugs and try to turn the motor by hand. Disconnect the belts to rule them out. If that doesn't work, pull the transmission back and see if the motor turns.

While I'm thinking about it, pull the starter and make sure that's not binding the motor. It's not unheard of to have the starter get stuck.

CGBear

Reaction score
Good call on the starter too. I actually forgot about that possibility. A badly aligned/shimmed starter can def. bind her up and will do exactly what you're describing.
THUMBS UP TO NYTESHADES!!!

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
As I said two days ago, yesterday was also a complicated day here in the farm; I finished so late I didn't have time to do anything in the truck. this is the busiest time of the year, a combination of preparing the soil in some fields, planting in others, setting new irrigation lines and harvesting the winter garden (lettuce, radish, beets, brocoli, kale, onions, etc) and we really need that truck back in service for the manure, silage and compost. Today in the morning I pulled out the GPs, sprayed a squirt of PB (a brand of penetrating oil) in each hole and went to fix something in an irrigation line my wife came to tell me, an hour later came back and try to turn it by hand but I couldn't find my 15/16 socket so I jumped in the seat and try with the starter four or five times. Nope, not even an inch, said my wife who was there helping me. She also notice a little bit of smoke and when I came around to see the smoke was gone but I smelled the typical smell when something electrical got really hot. I'm going to town this afternoon for some business and I'll get a new starter and a 15/16 socket. Sunday morning I'm going to loose the transmision and all the bells and try again. Maybe it's not hydrolocked and it's a misalignment in the transmision. I hope the PB keeps working also during the weekend until Sunday morning. Thanks again for all your help and support. I'll keep you guys posted. Burt.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back the damn transmission off. Your just gonna burn up another starter. There goes the profit on the radishes,or the brocoli, I hate brocoli anyhow. :puke:

sootman73

Reaction score
the motor is not seized or stuck up. there's no reason to put the blaster in the cylinders. its in the trans. you cant put the motor in and line the trans up at the same time. you'll save yourself all the time and money if you just pull the crossmember and pull the trans. dont even buy a starter yet. once you have the trans off try turning over the motor(the starter doesn't have to come off cuz its not bolted to the trans) if it doesn't turn over then then you have some much bigger problems.

Align the clutch and reinstall the trans. And NEVER NEVER NEVER draw the trans up with the bolts. they will go all the way up by just wiggling and pushing. if you have to draw it up then something is not put together right(assuming you have all the right parts)

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After re-re-reading his posts, I'm starting to wonder if he didn't bottom out a bolt and that's what's binding.

When you say flywheel bolts Burtcheca, are you talking about the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank, or the bolts that hold the pressure plate on the flywheel?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote = ...and I was able to put the six bolts, but after that it was not able to move the flywheel. Not even one turn. ....
THINK MAN

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking. All it takes is one bolt to protrude on the backside of the crank and catch a rib in the casting and the motor isn't going to turn. In this case, the 6th bolt possibly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online