Engine guy thinking of heading into transmission

wolf5842

Reaction score
Looking to find out how many of you out there who are comfortable with working on the internals of engine have attempted to rebuilt an Auto transmission (E40D) with the help of an ATSG manual. I know there are great Trans builders out there but right now I cannot afford their services. My current Trans is a used one which is starting to slip in 3rd causing hard shifts. I have resolved all of my electrical gremlins which may have contributed to my previous Trans which had been rebuilt 5K ago by a local guy to blow out the front seal. I was so disgusted that I simply looked for a good "Used" unit and popped it in. I am considering trying to rebuild my old (Rebuilt) unit.

Got my manuals last week, familiarized my self with the material. I disassembled the old unit this weekend and found some interesting things: 1- "Center" shaft was ground down on a grinder to the point that it wasn't making contact with the center support ball bearing, 2- a couple of the front pump threads were Heli-coil but one of the coils had the last thread sticking out 0.020" above the surface, 3- the clearance on some of the clutch packs were well above specs. Makes me think there was little attention to detail, which is the heart of any mechanical repair.

Some background on my truck, 94 IDI Turbo, I recently replaced the injectors and return lines (BB's from Typ4), scored on getting a brand new/discontinued "Mac Tools" timing tool to properly set my timing, repairs my VSS signal which was faulty because of Speedometer assembly, has a mild oil leak which maybe main seal which I will address when doing Trans R&R.

I religiously read the posting on the forum and it has been a great help to me. I usually do more reading than talking. I have learned that members are pretty receptive to others questions and ideas and thought that i would try my own. Any input or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Go for it. Tranny rebuilding is fun. It's not hard to do. The big thing is keeping everything clean. Clean the case thoroughly. You don't want any old crud in the case. Check your hard parts for wear or damage. If you have aluminum gear sets, toss them. Replace the with steel. You need to decide what kind of rebuild kit to use. Stock spec is ok. Modified kits are more fun.:D I would suggest a modified kit with a turbo. I would replace all the bushings and bearings too. Finish it up with a reprogramming kit (Trans Go Tugger) and the 4R100 4x4 tranny pan with gasket.

Check out this guy for parts www.racerxautomotive.com
This guy too for the odds and ends www.transmissionpartsusa.com

wolf5842

Reaction score
I've looked into the tugger kits and there seems to be an HD2 kit not completely sure of the difference. Sounds like you've played with them, can you enlighten me a bit on the shift kits? I am in need of towing ability but not looking to build something to handle hundreds of HP and torque. For me most part I am looking for reliability and some increase in strength. Thanks for your input Trackspeeder.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The Tugger kit is the HD-2 kit with some extra parts. If you do a lot of towing, the Tugger kit is what you want.:D Use the whole kit. Pump mods and all.
This kit is designed for heavy duty use. It will allow manual first shift without roasting the clutch pack. It will help with the dreaded "delayed reverse engagement". It helps with some of the other problems the stock E4OD's have.

Because you will be towing, get yourself a big tranny cooler. :D You might want to look into a good multi disk converter too Check out the converters from racer x.:thumbsup: