engine cuts out + service engine soon light

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
today my truck started cutting out like i turned the ignition off and then on quickly. after doing this a couple times the SES light came on. it stalled once at a stoplight but started right back up. it cuts out while driving once every mile or so. what should i be looking for?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the CPS but you really need to see if the computer stored a code and what it is and go from there. Definatly sounds electrical.

Give a quick look at all of the electrical connectors on the engine, battery cables too, to make sure it isn't a loose connection.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep pull the codes - let it tell you where it hurts... that's the beauty of PCM's... I don't have one but I would like to....

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
my vote would be CPS as well although the SES light is a new one to me but I've never had to replace one on a SD yet. Rob if you didn't already know you can pick up new CPS on Ebay for $40-$60 or if you have to have one international is the next best place

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the only thing is i read on SDD that a CPS rarely trips a SES light. but tomorrow i will shop for CPS and also a code reader.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
the only thing is i read on SDD that a CPS rarely trips a SES light. but tomorrow i will shop for CPS and also a code reader.

I have fixed several trucks that the CPS was bad and the SES light is on, it's not all that uncommon.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ive set the CPS code before when my CPS was functioning fine.....:dunno

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the puters on these trucks are possessed. :dunnoWhen I had 4 bad injectors & oil pressure problems causing no start & rough idle cold I couldn't get a code to save my *** and the SES light does work. cookoo

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
got a new CPS from IH for $109 + tax. installed and drove about 20 miles, truck seems to be back to normal.;Sweet

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
;Sweet altho I'm sure some-cuss :backoff words were spoken ;p

Odd how that CPS once it starts going.......you usually only get 1 mebee 2 warnings before it's lights out:eek: Damn hall effect and silicon wafer cookoo

Hopefully you coated the plug with dilectric grease and coated the bolt with some never sieze:thumbsup:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yeah there was some creative language... but what are you gonna do. it's only money. 100 here 1000 there at least it looks good and gets my s#!t around from job to job.

and i still have my clunker for backup.:D

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Rob put the old one in the glove box along with the wrench. You never know it just might come in handy some day.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
better yet Rob keep an eye on ebay for a cheap new one since you don't need it right away then put it in your glove box

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7