Elevation change

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I know the higher elevation the less air. But I'm here in Jackson hole I'm from wisconsin and the poor truck is struggling and smoking more then normal. Is there any thing I can do?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to much fuel going in, you could back off the fuel screw in the IP about one (1) or two hex. Takes a 5/32 hex wrench for the IP. The fuel and air mixture is not correct, too much fuel, not enough air.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Hi all. I know the higher elevation the less air. But I'm here in Jackson hole I'm from wisconsin and the poor truck is struggling and smoking more then normal. Is there any thing I can do?

fill the tank more often LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just use less throttle. I would limit WOT runs, and generally try to stay away from 3/4+ throttle. Jackson Hole is up there, and you should be down about 15-20% of stock power.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm not too far from Jackson.. The elevation changes around here are pretty significant and it's easy to gain a couple thousand feet in a short drive.

What you're seeing is pretty typical of a N/A IDI. My 86 ran great around town but it couldn't get out of it's own way driving through the mountain passes---low power and a lot more smoke than normal. A turbo eliminates 99% of the headache here not that it does you any good right now.

Like said above back off the throttle and take your time. If you're hauling anything be sure to use the pull offs to let faster traffic go by. Great part of the country to be in the slow lane anyway.. Lots of incredible scenery ;Sweet

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add a turbo like I did. Mine is just setup with the stock pump settings for altitude compensation mainly, not power..

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live @3000ft.i have a slight amount of smoke.if I go to the beach I get very little.if I go up to big bear,ca (6000-8000ft) I get lots of embarrassing smoke

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online