Electrical problems?

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
So, If I remember right, turning the key back (towards yourself) turns on the ACC, like the radio. Turning it all the way before ignition starts the blower and glowplugs.

Is there anything in between those key turns?

I ask this because suddenly, my power window and my speedometer stopped working at the same time, and I'm wondering if some connection is loose or not plugged in.

I know the speedometer has nothing to do with ignition, but I may just be rambling at this point...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, If I remember right, turning the key back (towards yourself) turns on the ACC, like the radio. Turning it all the way before ignition starts the blower and glowplugs.

Is there anything in between those key turns?
Yes, but nothing is energized in those positions. The position where you can insert and remove the key is LOCK. The next position is OFF - the column is unlocked, but accessories, FSV, etc. are not energized. The next position is RUN, which energizes the FSV, glow plug controller, HVAC blower, power windows, etc. So if power windows are inop, but the others are working, it's probably not the ignition switch.

My '85 has crank windows, and I don't have the owner's manual or EVTM in front of me, but I _think_ power windows are energized by a circuit breaker plugged into a regular fuse socket in the fuse box. That would be the first thing to check. And indeed, your speedometer is completely mechanical, so not related to any electrical failure.