Electric Fuel Pump

wickedweasel

Badass
Reaction score
I own a 1988 7.3L and i am experiencing lift pump issues. As usual a bright idea came across my mind to put an electric fuel pump on it. I haven't had much time to play around on this truck so i figured to just come here and ask. What pumps are yall using and what are you using as a block off plate for the old mechanical one

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I currently run an little inline pump from napa (pn-p74029). I have heard good things about procomp pumps. A guy on here has run one for 3 years with no ill effects. Most guys like the holly reds.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
A block off plate for a Chevy big block fits perfectly. I'm running a Facet Duralift pump (I also can supply them) and have no issues. Make sure the pump you choose runs between 4-7psi and at least 30GPH.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Holley's are fine for a short time. I run a little waist oil and can't get a red or blue pump to last more than a year but for the money it is still cost effective. I am thinking about getting a FASS pump. IIRC there smallest pump is pretty close to the right pressure and flow for about $350 and has a filter and regular

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a Carter P4070 back in October 2009 and still haven't gotten around to installing it...ugh. Hopefully soon though! I'm doing the IP and injectors, figure I might as well knock that out while I'm at it, and it'll help get things primed too when the job's done.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I ran the hell out of a holley red... It went many years when it failed. The spare I installed didn't last a year when it crapped out... So I installed a transcold carrier electric pump. Those are the pumps found on the refer box you see going down the road. They suck fuel from about the middle of the trailer and up around 12 ft. to the cooling unit... Thats sucken some fuel and they don't fail very often.....I'm seeing 7 lbs after the filter on my rig....

Revelstoke

Reaction score
How much is too much lifter pump pressure? I talked to a guy who uses a 30 psi fuel pump. I don't know if I believe him, and I also wonder if that will cause problems...?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
How much is too much lifter pump pressure? I talked to a guy who uses a 30 psi fuel pump. I don't know if I believe him, and I also wonder if that will cause problems...?

I think Mels pump guy said that up to 11 psi will work, but when you get over about 8psi the timing starts to advance. After 11psi you risk damaging the IP.