EGT's out of control

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm following this thread with great interest as I'm experiencing much the same issues when I tow....plus I'm dealing with the smell of burning oil (at least that's what it smells like to me) coming thru the vent system. I can't find anything that appears to be the culprit.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I'm following this thread with great interest as I'm experiencing much the same issues when I tow....plus I'm dealing with the smell of burning oil (at least that's what it smells like to me) coming thru the vent system. I can't find anything that appears to be the culprit.

Check the little breather on the VC driverside bank they leak and it does let the oil burn smell come through the vents on mine also!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Just got back from camping and have already decided to invest in a water injection setup. I was running temps of 9-1200* and had to keep backing my foot out of the throttle. I'll post pics of the water injection system, as I set it up.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
It's easy. I have my purple crayon in my hand.;p Start with a 6 oh or 7.3 CAC. I have my red crayon in my hand now.Remove the grill and anything in its way. with the blue crayon, mark two BF holes to be cut in the core support. With the black crayon mark the pipes to be installed. The green crayon is for the $$$ for the Super Duty parts.:rotflmao

Hey were is the picture?? Darn the crayons melted.LOL

Sorry I had to bust em on you.:D

Really, Check over on SDD.com Many have done this.

I don't need to do this because Ford has done it for me.:D

zpd307

Reaction score
It's easy. I have my purple crayon in my hand.;p Start with a 6 oh or 7.3 CAC. I have my red crayon in my hand now.Remove the grill and anything in its way. with the blue crayon, mark two BF holes to be cut in the core support. With the black crayon mark the pipes to be installed. The green crayon is for the $$$ for the Super Duty parts.:rotflmao

Hey were is the picture?? Darn the crayons melted.LOL

Sorry I had to bust em on you.:D

Really, Check over on SDD.com Many have done this.

I don't need to do this because Ford has done it for me.:D

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao. i dont know how soon you are going to want it, but.... i am putting in a 6.0 intercooler and will be selling off the 7.3 one. i am only changing it out because i got the 6.0 cooler for the 90, but it never got put in. and the 6.0 is supposed to drop the egts more.... i just dont have a specific time in which i want it to get done. probably around the time i put in a 6.0 tranny cooler. i have seen a guy on ebay, selling cooler pipes for the cooler retrofit in obs trucks, that way it will save time and aggrevation of fabbing up your own pipes.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao. i dont know how soon you are going to want it, but.... i am putting in a 6.0 intercooler and will be selling off the 7.3 one. i am only changing it out because i got the 6.0 cooler for the 90, but it never got put in. and the 6.0 is supposed to drop the egts more.... i just dont have a specific time in which i want it to get done. probably around the time i put in a 6.0 tranny cooler. i have seen a guy on ebay, selling cooler pipes for the cooler retrofit in obs trucks, that way it will save time and aggrevation of fabbing up your own pipes.

I will patiently await it's availability!!!! ;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
So whats normal for egt's anyway....I just installed a pyro on my 97 and have no idea whats normal...cruising? DD'ing? towing?

When it gets to hot what do you do to try and cool it down?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
So whats normal for egt's anyway....I just installed a pyro on my 97 and have no idea whats normal...cruising? DD'ing? towing?

When it gets to hot what do you do to try and cool it down?

I've been told that 6-700* is normal for cruising down the highway. I've also heard people say not to go above 1100*

When I'm towing, I try to keep it below 1200*.... Which isn't easy, but I do it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
What do you do when you reach those temps to bring it back down?

Pull your heavy right boot off the skinny pedal:D

Or like me not hook your pyro up and just not worry about it, what you dont know wont hurt you right?:rotflmao LOL The I-H gods are gonna send me to hell for all the **** i put these engines threw