egt temps

Fitzy

Reaction score
New to the forum. Just got my first diesel; 1991 ford E350 van. Runs great, put a Hypermax 3 1/2" exhaust and k&n air filter. Did new return lines and glow plug relay. Timed it with Ferret meter at 8 degrees at 2000rpm. Egts : around town 35-45mph 400-500. On flat Texas interstates no load 65mph- 700, 75mph- 800, 80mph- 875. These are steady crusing speeds. When I accelerate from 65 to 80 temps go to 1000 then level off to 875-900. Are these temps normal ? Haven't towed anything yet and worried egts might get too hot. Egt is an Autometer sportcomp, probe is in passenger side manifold . Stock timing was at 6.5 and egts were cooler, van seems to have more pep at 8. any help would be helpful. Thanks, Fitzy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum! kinda jealous of your van. it would be even nicer if we had pics(hinthint)
those temps are pretty much what i run in my F350. @ 8.5*
i havnt touched my fuel screw.
nothing to worry about.
they say anything higher than 1200* you should steer clear of.
consider an innercooler to cool things down alot.
im sure this is going to be fun in a econoline.

is your van a cargo or a passenger?

Fitzy

Reaction score
It's a cargo van with the side sliding door. I have owned E350s for the last 20 years. Had one I put a hot 460 in ; it hauled ass but got 9mpg. Had another one with the 300 straight 6. couldn't tow much, and got 11mpg. So far the diesel is getting around 15mph at 75-80mph; hopefully it will tow good . Will try to send some pics.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably close to right for an engine without a turbo.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They can be "okay" for a non turbo engine (though I still wouldn't run it) but they still let dust particles through, which will destroy a turbo wheel.
Pretty much if you hold it up to light and can see the light through the filter, it's no good.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Fitzy

Reaction score
Mine is non turbo. Never had any trouble with k&n filters on gas engines. This is my first diesel, anyone else running a k&n.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just keep an eye downstream of the air filter. Look for dust tracks.
Yes, the k&n thing is blown out of proportion. I'd just rather take my chances somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think those temps are a little hot but my experience with NA Ford IDIs is minimal (put the turbo on my '86 in '87 when it had 7K miles) but that would be hot for my turbo 6.9L. At 60 mph, mile is about 500 and not much more at my top speed (4.10s) of 70 mph (3000 rpm). But again, My only NA/pyro experience was on a 6.2L GM.

K&N: The K&N cotton gauze filter sacrifices efficiency for airflow. It lets a lot of fine dust thru that a paper or lofted fiber filter won't. A modern paper filter l is about 97-99 % efficient on the SAE fine test dust and nearly 100 % efficient on the coarse dust test. An average 2-ply cotton gauze filter is 92-96% on the fine dust test and 97-98% on the coarse. Which test do you think they advertise? It might not be too much of a long term issue if you live in a clean air area but remember... the air intake is the primary source of contamination and wear producing particles into the engine. Want your engine to last a long time? Want your oil to stay in service longer? Make sure you run the most efficient air filtration system you can.

Read this article and make sure you read who wrote it. http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-trailer-news/the-truth-about-engine-air-filtration/

sassyrel

Reaction score
Mine is non turbo. Never had any trouble with k&n filters on gas engines. This is my first diesel, anyone else running a k&n.

if you go, to a site that posts the TRUTH about air flow numbers,,the difference between a GOOD stock air filter,,and a k&n trash,,is less than 1/2 of a percent.....and my engine,,got destroyed by one of those pos......

sassyrel

Reaction score
K&N: The K&N cotton gauze filter sacrifices efficiency for airflow. It lets a lot of fine dust thru that a paper or lofted fiber filter won't. A modern paper filter l is about 97-99 % efficient on the SAE fine test dust and nearly 100 % efficient on the coarse dust test. An average 2-ply cotton gauze filter is 92-96% on the fine dust test and 97-98% on the coarse. Which test do you think they advertise? It might not be too much of a long term issue if you live in a clean air area but remember... the air intake is the primary source of contamination and wear producing particles into the engine. Want your engine to last a long time? Want your oil to stay in service longer? Make sure you run the most efficient air filtration system you can.

Read this article and make sure you read who wrote it. http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-trailer-news/the-truth-about-engine-air-filtration/

DAMN straight, Jim!!!!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i do.iv been running them in all my vehicles for the past 15 years or so.

lets go pats! ;Sweet

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N knows their filters don't filter well so they offer a finer prefilter! If you live in a city you may not have any troubles but come out to the dusty desert and you will.

Years ago I put a K&N on a 3 wheeler. Suddenly I was rebuilding it 2x a year. Went back to an oiled foam filter and it ran 10+ yrs with no engine work.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
K&N knows their filters don't filter well so they offer a finer prefilter! If you live in a city you may not have any troubles but come out to the dusty desert and you will.

Years ago I put a K&N on a 3 wheeler. Suddenly I was rebuilding it 2x a year. Went back to an oiled foam filter and it ran 10+ yrs with no engine work.

I'll never use K&N filters had one on my 07 toyota Tundra I'm in South Texas way Dusty down here. Let more Dust in than it filtered. I think Airaid makes a Nice filter for or NonTurbo Trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online