egt help

zack g.

Reaction score
hi im new to the fourm and am looking to do big things with my idi. right now i just need some help on how and where to find and install an egt guage an sensor

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Welcome. Turbo or not? Depends on where you put it. If it's n/a, put it in the rear of one of your exhaust manifolds. If it's a turbo, put it in the exhaust housing so you get a true reading of what the engine is doing.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Best way is to drill a hole on the exhaust manifold and tap it, then drive Your EGT probe in and get a good reading. I prefer ISSpro gauges Myself.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you put it in one of the exhaust manifolds regardless of whether your turbo or not? That way, you get the hottest reading possible, which takes some of the guesswork out of how much you think its cooling. My understanding is that the engine will melt before the turbo will, so the EGT gauge is protecting the engine primarily and turbo by default. I'm getting ready to do this myself, and was planning on plugging the port in my Banks turbo (which is a good 3-4' of pipe away from my exhaust manifolds) and drilling and tapping between cylinders 6 and 8, which fire one right after the other if my understanding is correct. Them being located back driver side is a plus because that's where all my wires run through the firewall.

zack g.

Reaction score
No I'm the same owner I've decided to keep it for good eventually it will become a mega truck