Eco-Boost?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Buddy of mine just bought a new F150 4x4 EcoBoost v6, after toying with the idea of getting a diesel F250. He is no Mr. Goodwrench, so he stayed with the easy decision and big payment (About $40,000). Anyone have strong feelings, maybe any feelings about the turbo-replacing-engine-displacement movement?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother in law test drove on of those ecoboost fords, it was supposed to be able to pull like 14,000 pounds. He was really disappointed with it. He was comparing it to his Cummins mind you so I am not sure it was a fair comparison. However, if his reaction is any help, they are not the massive powerhouses the ad's say they are - at least not at the same rpms. I think displacement still has the upper hand for at least towing.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I ran one up in Quincy WA during last summer for about three months hauling tool boxes, wire, cable, etc. I thought it made descent power but like all newer Ford gas engines, you've got to get the RPM's waaay up there to get things done. There was a steep grade coming into Quincy from Wenatchee that I worked the turbo on, I could keep the speed up but only by pushing the pig the whole time. Mind you I beat on this thing like you should all rentals, had it been my personal truck and had I been more concerned about driving it rationally, I imagine I would have been more disappointed in it's performance...

Ocelotl

Reaction score
I borrowed a relative's 2013 F150 Ecoboost to fetch my broken down Volvo 850 (fuel pump) and thought it made decent power for a V6, given the relatively light load. Towed the car on a Uhaul trailer for 125 miles very adequately and smoothly on flat south Texas ground, and having all the creature comforts was nice. But not however many thousands of dollars they cost nice. Gas mileage was not wow-impressive, but decent, towing or not. I don't remember the figures, but I remember thinking it was just OK (I want to say 16 mpg but I'm not sure). I do remember thinking it was revved up while towing, but I chalked it up to being used to diesels. It did handle and accelerate like a dream while towing, though, and passing at 70 was nice.

Still, I'll stick to my old diesels for towing, beating up on and general truck duties, thank you. Reason I used their truck rather than mine for recovery duties this time is the car broke down 300 miles away from my F250. Not that I would, but if I were to buy a new truck it would be a diesel, no question about it, but that's because I use my truck for towing and such, and they use their Ecoboost as a car. Were I looking to make payments on a new car to use as a car and drive the family around and such, I might look closely into one.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a V6 guys... It'll never lug like an IDI so it makes up for it with RPM (It's the way every gas engine is). It's impressive compared to the 160 hp V6 in my 1500.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'll be the first guy to chime in with positives on the new EcoBoost: I think it kicks butt. I have two buddies who bought Supercrews with the EcoBoosts. One of them had the exact same truck one year older with the modular gas motor (same color, same interior, same options, works for a Ford dealer in Texas). The EcoBoost runs away from the V8 gasoline engine unloaded, and gets significantly better mileage doing it. My other buddies in Seattle consistently turns the tires shifting from first to second (it's an automatic).

It ain't gonna tow like a diesel, and I think overpriced half ton trucks don't have any place in my driveway, but I think the power/mileage is far better than my other buddy who bought the V8 F150 Supercrew, and that truck feels like you are stepping on a soft sponge instead of the gas pedal, and drinks fuel like a big block :puke:

I do think the EcoBoost V6 would be an awesome powerplant in an OBS Bronco......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online