91 f350 hyrdo boost swap.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
Yep I am at it again.. haha hopefully this does not bite me in the but like my last upgrade endver... anyway, So over the weekend i did alot of towing with this 91 f350 with the 7.3 dually. I have never really towed much but Im trying to get to the point where i have mt own trailer and am regularly towing something most likely a camper since the wife and I love road trips. The truck did great we eneded up driving two hours south on the central coast of California with a 16ft cat trailer to pickup a 2 post car lift for my buddy... Unfortunately he didnt mention it wasent dismantled so we had to strap it down very well and took it at 50 the whole way back.. not sure total weight but the height was around 14ft at the top of the electric motor thst stuck up. the truck pulled it no problem trailer brakes worked but it still seemed a littlw weak at a few long down hill points had to kick out of overdrive and let the motor rev up a bit to avoid having to ride the breaks. after unloading that we had to relocate this 94 f350 4x4 crew cab parts truck we purchased from my work so we loaded it on that little trialer (barely fit and was very overloaded).. again truck pulled it no problem probably around mid 7,000s for the truck and the trailer was atleast 3,000 and then the aditional weight og my trucl high 7,000 luckily we didnt have far to go but was definitely alot for someone with as little experice as I have pullimg trailers...
Now that im done bragging about how stupid I am we can get to what i really am writing this about. Ive thought about doing the hydro boost setup ive also driven my dads 99 f350 dually psd which has hydroboost and it is noght and day stopping power.. so of course When i dragged the rest of 94's carcus to the scrap yard I managed to convince the scrap man to trade me the carcus for access to the yard to go parts hunting and I found a early 99 f450 with the psd and it also had a hydroboost setup in it. so of course I snagged the entire booster with master and all the lines as well as the entire power steering pump. I also managed to grab the very nice intercooler and hoses that those trucks come with ( thats for a future thread). I was so excited that i started looking into the finer details of what this swap takes and of course I found a problem..
Theres a few threads here explaining how to do the swap and one of them I came across mentioned the brake pedals have diffrent pivoy locations and after viewing images of that my heart sunk... And further reading says that auto and standard vehicles use diffrent pedals.... The truck i got them off again was a 99 f450 and it was a standard transmisson.

So my questions are the following:
1. even if i managed to go back and snag that brake pedal would it fit in my much older 91 with an auto trans?
2. do i need to modify the push rod?(I compared the hydroboost to the booster off the 94 vaccum booster and its several inches longer than the vacuum setup and smaller)
3. is this even the right hydroboost setup or am i trying to use the wrong year setup?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Nope you need a 87-91 auto pedal. Standard pedal might fit, not sure. You can always move the pin on your current pedal.

2 & 3. You want a hydroboost from an 80-96 F-superduty (f450). The newer ones can be adapted but nothing at all about them will bolt up correctly.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Hydro boost is only a piece of the puzzle as to why that super duty stops better. Most always, lack of braking power with these trucks is rears not being fully utilized.....rears usually last 200k+ where fronts wont last 20k in a towing application. Make sure the rears are adjusted up good, with no sinking pedal.

Hydro boost is good, just not a fix all for braking with these trucks.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I did this swap on my 91 which I use to haul cattle regularly. For me it was a night and day difference. Brake system was in good order before swap.
I used all 88-97 F Superduty (F450) parts including the brake pedal. There are great threads over on Powerstroke army in the 94-97 7.3 upgrades section it is a stickie at the top.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
Hydro boost is only a piece of the puzzle as to why that super duty stops better. Most always, lack of braking power with these trucks is rears not being fully utilized.....rears usually last 200k+ where fronts wont last 20k in a towing application. Make sure the rears are adjusted up good, with no sinking pedal.

Hydro boost is good, just not a fix all for braking with these trucks.
the previous owner had just had all the brakes repalced its got new shoes and hardware in the rear probably not adjusted properly and the front had new pads and rotors. also has a new vacuum booster and master. it definitely needs to be bled.
what does it entail using the newer style hydroboost? atleast moving the pin on the pedal up what about the Rabs ? the plugs on the master look similar was thinking of splicing the wires from the new plug into my old harness assuming the wires do the same things.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what does it entail using the newer style hydroboost?

I'm not completely sure, I think the bolt pattern for the firewall might be different, I know the fittings are all metric on the newer ones vs SAE on the older ones. I'm thinking I heard about a pushrod difference too as you noted. There's a couple guys on here who have done it the "hard way", can't recall who.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
I'm not completely sure, I think the bolt pattern for the firewall might be different, I know the fittings are all metric on the newer ones vs SAE on the older ones. I'm thinking I heard about a pushrod difference too as you noted. There's a couple guys on here who have done it the "hard way", can't recall who.
nice Id have to look closer and mabye measure but compaired to the 94 vacuum booster i had it looks the same as far as the mounting holes and what not but the push rod is definitely smaller and longer. i qas going to cut off the one from the 94 after measuring of course and welding it onto the chopped hydroboost rod to the same length as the factory vacuum system. the only thing i can think of is thst by doing this i would have less leverage on it but im not a small guy i feel like i could make up for the missing leverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online