EBPV on an IDI

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Just pondering here, but if someone were to install a PSD turbo on an IDI, in theory they could hook the EBPV up to the cold idle and cold timing advance circuit, and it should help it warm up faster, right? I'm just thinking that the increased back pressure would increase the EGT and dump more heat into the cooling system VIA the heads therefor helping to warm up the engine in the winter. What say y'all?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Why put something on the IDI that everybody throws away or disables on the PSD?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Why put something on the IDI that everybody throws away or disables on the PSD?

Like I said, just pondering... I was thinking of when I put a muffler on my IDI, cruising at 60 my EGT was 750-800, whereas without the muffler it is 450-500. So I was just thinking outside the box, if you believe in the box even being there.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I disconnect EVERY one I come across. Right now I am in the process of removing the one on my F550 while the engine is out and is super simple to get to.

The idea behind it is to restrict exhaust flow and to warm the engine up faster. I have never had one warm anything up faster. All they do is come on in the most inopportune times and restrict exhaust flow which kills the power.
I just get a chip with a high idle setting and THAT warms the engine faster.

It is even rumored to drop EGTs 50* with the EBPV removed because of uninterrupted exhaust gasses

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think it doesn't do anything, your weather just isn't cold enough. Even with high idle, it is a necessity for keeping an engine remotely warm at -30, and operating temperature under no load is a faint hope. It also makes a not half bad exhaust brake.
But, if your normal weather doesn't include the frigid weather I have all too much experience with, you aren't going to notice the difference.

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you think it doesn't do anything, your weather just isn't cold enough. Even with high idle, it is a necessity for keeping an engine remotely warm at -30, and operating temperature under no load is a faint hope. It also makes a not half bad exhaust brake.
But, if your normal weather doesn't include the frigid weather I have all too much experience with, you aren't going to notice the difference.

That is what I was going to say, and they can be annoying at times, but when it is really cold they do help. They make a very easy exhaust bake.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say it could work. If it was hooked up to the high idle switch like you said, it wouldn't be as touchy as they are on PSDs...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

YOu are right. I have never seen -30* weather. The coldest its ever gets in NEPA is 0. But then again where does it get to -30 in the US?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin