Eating Tach sensors

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Truck had the factory tach sensor from 150k ago, it went bad, replaced it with a UHaul tach sensor about 2 weeks (roughly 200 mi.) before I parked it. It sat for about a month with the trans out, buttoned it all back up and ran it for about 3 days now and the tach sensor quit again. :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem with a Uaul tach sensor? :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The senser is a magnet. Remove it and clean off any stuff thats collected on it. Hopefully you don't have a bunch of metal washing thru your engine but this isone place tofind it. The other is the oil pan drain plug....

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Truck had the factory tach sensor from 150k ago, it went bad, replaced it with a UHaul tach sensor about 2 weeks (roughly 200 mi.) before I parked it. It sat for about a month with the trans out, buttoned it all back up and ran it for about 3 days now and the tach sensor quit again. :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem with a Uaul tach sensor? :dunno

Nope, mine works just fine. Actually even my stock one works just fine. I had a bad/intermittent connection at the plug. I cleaned the pins, tightened them up a little and dabbed a little Oxgard to keep corrosion at bay and unlike Dielectric grease it improves conductivity. just don't get it crossed across both pins or you'll have a short.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Make that 3 sensors now :mad:. I pulled the one from my spare turbo engine and it does the exact same thing :confused:

There is NO metal at all on ANY of them ;Sweet

At idle it will read 500 RPM, at where I know for a fact is 2000 Rpm it is at 1100 (I wish that's what I cruised at :D) and on the governer, foot to the floor in nuetral, it reads 1900 Rpm. The tach will move at the same time as the engine is revved but it is not near the right reading, no dead spots. I have no idea what's going on with it :dunno

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the tach guage itself is bad :dunno

I don't know how tempermental they are, my tach has always been "lazy" when cold but once the oil temp warms up it seems to work. I've pulled it out, cleaned it and reinsulated the wiring with liquid tape and it seems to be about the same: still lazy.

Or maybe it's me that's lazy, because I haven't been motivated enough to fix it.......

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I think its your gauge. Can you verify on another engine that the sensors are bad? Just a WAG from me though.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
There is one problem with that plan though, I have the only IDI within 100 Mi or so of me, (that I know of)

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Well, it fixed itself about a mile away from home tonight. Downshifted and I noticed the tach jump to 2500 RPM and the idle is now 650 :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its just got to be a bad connection and probably the ground as posted above.... The big problem is actually finding it when you tear apart things. Good to know its not eating the senders... That could be a real mess...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me know if you plan to get rid of one, I need to test mine but I think I got a bad one out of the package :dunno

if not its the gauge...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Where can you get tach sensors? I have replaced mine twice before but with used sensors. Im just started to get a fluttery reading on the tach today and want to get a new sensor ASAP as I have the E40d-cuss

Can you get sensors at a NAPA or something? Im scared to find out what Ford is asking for one.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i spoke with ford they wanted like 80 bucks for a brand new one. been tryin to find one on the Uhaul website, just dont know what to look under!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online